Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Everyone has their opinions. In the 10 years I've been welding I've never had anything break, and I've welded some big sh!t.
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

Littlefuzz,

I thought I remembered you from another site, then once I saw the closeups of your welds I knew I had. I saw the pictures of a custom rear bumper you put on a customers pickup a red Ford if I remember correctly. I believe you explained your weld as being done in a circular motion. It definately shows consistency and control on your part, it's just not my thing - I was trained differently. My GTAW and GMAW deposits are much tighter than that. My concern with your weld deposits being spaced so far apart it that you are in effect having stop/starts tied together in a chain. No offense intended to how you weld.

Later,

Default no offense meant

Like the other guys I was just taught a different way than that of yours, everyone has there own way of doing things. Is your way any better or worse than ours, I can't say one way or the other for sure. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Littlefuzz,

I thought I remembered you from another site, then once I saw the closeups of your welds I knew I had. I saw the pictures of a custom rear bumper you put on a customers pickup a red Ford if I remember correctly. I believe you explained your weld as being done in a circular motion. It definately shows consistency and control on your part, it's just not my thing - I was trained differently. My GTAW and GMAW deposits are much tighter than that. My concern with your weld deposits being spaced so far apart it that you are in effect having stop/starts tied together in a chain. No offense intended to how you weld.

Later,
    Yup that's me. Oh, that bumper has had a hay spear mounted into the receiver and hauled a bunch of those 5 x 6 round bales without budging.
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

Here's the link to what Black Wolf is talking about if anyone is interested
    http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread...l+bumper+hitch
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

That's the one. I don't spend much time on that site, I'm too busy over here when I'm not working or travelling with the race cars. Thanks for the refresher Dewayne.

Later,
    Jason

littlefuzz, ditto what fusionking and dabar said. But, one of my bosses has a long arc legnth when he does 7018 that I didn't think was as strong, snuck one of his pieces out and did a bend test, was still flawless. Personally, teachers and bosses still prefer my mig welds be tighter together. BUT, DARN
    YOUR CONSISTENCY AND YOUR LINE IS SO DA&N STRAIGHT!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I'll try to think to get some pics of some tighter beads. They aren't always spaced that far apart but still basically the same "stack of dimes" appearence.
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

I'll try to use my MM251 and do some beads also
    Tell you now though, my line won't be as straight
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I'll try to use my MM251 and do some beads also
    Tell you now though, my line won't be as straight
    that's what I was using.
    Dewayne Sullivan