Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Nothing better to post

Here's a 3/4" baseplate welded on some 4 x 4 x 1/4" tube
    DSCN1023.JPG
    DSCN1022.JPG
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

What equipment and settings did you use?

is the base plate galvy coated ??
    looks good.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    What equipment and settings did you use?
    I was using the MM251 and I can't remember the specific settings probably around 26v and 600ws
    Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    is the base plate galvy coated ??
    looks good.
    Naw, the plate was previously painted so I had to grind all that off. Thanks.
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

To me it looks like what a lot of people want their tig to look like..............
    Did you start and stop to get that look? What I mean is, is each weld single and the next just overlap?

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    To me it looks like what a lot of people want their tig to look like..............
    Did you start and stop to get that look? What I mean is, is each weld single and the next just overlap?
    No, it's a continuous weld. You're talking about layered tacks and that's fine for some thin sheet but not for this 3/4" plate. This is how I weld at work on most stuff because I can always tell what I've done compared to everyone else cause no one else at our shop can run a bead like that, just as good as a signature
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

seems most good true welders can recognize there own work. like you said it becomes similer to a signiture. once you work out how you like to time your movements and dip's or feed in MIG's case you tend to repeat the same as it becomes your routeen. i suspect thats realy the only way to get a good consistant bead time after time.
    looks great, wish i could get mine so nice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I don't see how to do that in a steady weld............but it really looks great!
    But, is the weld as good as it looks? I'm in HVAC and have been since 1971. I can't tell which joints I have done but I can sure tell you the ones I haven't.

I think it looks nice but I generally won't let people who work for me get away with a bead done that way. Just spaced a little to far out for my taste and sorta doubt it would get you hired on any critical welding job. I'm sure it's a good hot weld and all that just way to much variance in the width and certainly not taught in any school that way that I remember. Too much distance between your jumps. I bet you actually use less filler. Tighten it up to about half that much and maybe it would look a little more believable.
    Personally I would need to see some destructive test results before I would put my signature (or reputation) on it.
    And if I am wrong.... then sorry. .... just definetly not how I was taught.

Sorry guys but I've got to agree with FusionKing on this one, close them jumps up a little. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en