Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Welding inside of my smoker. No way you could ever clean all the smoke and grease out it enough to make a nice clean weld. Thankfully it wasn't anything critical.
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set

My worst as in difficult was probably the top rail bracket of an elevator addition. 35' feet in the air, no way to stage it, I was basically tied off, hanging upside down doing an overhead fillet welding the bracket to the beam.

Another was welding in a 4" tall "post" that mated the new addition structure to the existing W24X128 main roof beam. I had to cut off the W24 beam, weld a 3/4" plate onto the end of it and jack it up enough so I could slip the 6x6X1/2" "post" between the w24 and the new steel under it. I had to do this all through a 12" wide slot cut through the masonry bearing wall. I went through many, many 7018 rods with 3 bends in them.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Well, my worst weld which i hope NO ONE ever sees was welding a door back on a jeep on the trail. the door was barely atatched by the bottom hinge and the top was broken completely off. THe wner didnt want to take the door off it's hinges to fix it properly so through a combination of some 6011, covered and coupled by some MIG action in there too we got the door to stick. It looked about like some one put grey bubble gum on the top and bottom of the hinge.

Luckily I have a 4x4 that holds my generator and welders or he's be driving with no door at all still today. that was a month or so ago and it's still holding.. I've offered to pull the door, grind out the welds and fix it right, but he says the door's never sealed better and he's fine the way it is.. i told him NEVER tell anyone that's one of my welds :LOL:
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Cool

Depends on which process, We all made lots of bad ones when first starting I remember one time when all I had was 6013 and a buz box and I had more slag trapped in it then weld bead, just tried welding over it until it looked like a bee hive!!

35years later I get my new Dynasty200 and decide to teach myself aluminum! I welded a flat bead on some scrap stuff about 11ga and looking through the hood it looked nice, lifted the torch, the sparks flew! I got off the pedal, and was admiring my flat weld (wondering where that filler material went??? Turned it over and there it was dripping out the bottom (That is the day I got registered on this site and started asking questions (just cause I been welding for 45 years didn't make me a Tig welder)

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

I'm not a pro and will never claim to be !! First starting out I had so many bad welds I cant even begin to think of which one would have been the worst. I think the worst to work on was an oil tank on a cheep store bought log splitter. I for sure was not happy and defiantly was not proud, but when a friend needs help I try when I can. The happy ending was he left happy, had no leaks and thought it looked wonderful.

Some of the worst welds I've done - and the ones I hated doing the most were the other week, welding together a bust exhaust on my son's car. No ramps or jack, slushy mess on the ground, trying to weld the top side of a rusty exhaust, right by the clamp, under the heat shield. Couldn't see anything, not enough clearance under the car to move, my butt was soggy, couldn't get the gun in there, using the mirror and a flashlight. Mask kept fogging and snagging on the car. Basically it ended up look, position, shut the eyes and weld for 5 seconds, look in the mirror and repeat. Got it stuck together and I know it will hold, but I'm not proud of those welds.

I would say my worst was on a hydraulic cylinder return tube. The one that comes out of the side of the cylinder and runs right down the side. The bend at the top was a 1" radius that was cut short and there was no way to get an angle on it for penetration. The return tube was 0.5" diameter with a 0.035 wall thickness so burn through was a big problem. I got a good wrap and overlap underneath and the weld looked great. I was happy with it until we pressurized the cylinder and it blew a stream of oil across the shop. I was the weld engineer and has 15 welders watching what I was doing. A little work and we fixed it. Instead of solid mig wire we tested, proved and went to metal cored wire and the change in penetration patterns eliminated the problem. So I ate crow for awhile with my guys.

How about running a vert up fluxcore spray transfer on 1/2" plate for the first time while not being given enough time to prep the joint clean the paint or even get roughly comfortable to get a good looking weld. That thing looked like crap. Bubble gum welds with a side of pigeon crap. I learned quick though the last few welds looked like I'd been doing it for twenty years
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    How about running a vert up fluxcore spray transfer on 1/2" plate for the first time while not being given enough time to prep the joint clean the paint or even get roughly comfortable to get a good looking weld. That thing looked like crap. Bubble gum welds with a side of pigeon crap. ......
    i done that before.
    and then there is the times you hurry yourself ,and your pissed off and nothing is going right.

my first tig weld looked like something i pulled out of the kitty litter box
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Quote Originally Posted by welderman23 View Post
    i done that before.
    and then there is the times you hurry yourself ,and your pissed off and nothing is going right.

my first tig weld looked like something i pulled out of the kitty litter box
    Most definitely been there more then once.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com