Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bert's Pics

Default welding critique

Bert crank up the heat a little on those 6011's overall not bad though.

fun4now, James you sure you have only burnt a dozen or so rods?
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Cool cool not so bad after all? thanks !!

FusionKing & dabar39
    yes it really is my first box of rod's. i suspect i have now counting the ones i burned today burned about 20 or so rod's. as for all the excuses, they are true and i'm happy to hear they are not as bad as i thought they were. i have done O/A in the past. thats what i learned first. then MIG , then TIG. well i'm still new to TIG also. but recently decided i should try out the stick side of the TA-185 wile it was still new. so i ordered a 5# box of stick's so i could try it. i have to say i can see its usefulness once its learned. i get the basic idea of it just have to find the best way to hold and work the stinger. again like any of the other processes you just have to put in the time to find a way that works for you. i'm still working on that part. i have good solid welds i just need to work on the looks. all in all i'm happy with my progress so far but did not expect it to be anywhere near worthy of a competition, just used it as an excuse to burn a few more rod's. also thought i should try the AC due to one of the young ones saying its harder. thought i should try it out. personally i think DC is more difficult, but that could be just do to the fact it was the first i try ed so i was still very confused about the hole holding thing. it is getting essayer to work the stinger so may be thats why i thought AC essayer, just do to it being more comfortable to work the stinger. ya right comfortable, i wish. maybe after the rest of the box is gone i'll have a better way to hold and work the stinger. then i can work more on the appearance part.

again thanks for the positive words, i'll keep at it.
    FusionKing
    i have a spell check on my browser (iespell) and try to use it just don't always think about it. i will try to remember.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up

weld_13 Quote:
    Originally Posted by fun4now
    i also don't think i have any material that thick to play with ?? and i only have one kind os rod to work with, 6018 i think ????????

Oh we were just going to use whatever we had

certainly i'm only going to use what i have. i already changed to AC for you , now you want me to go buy more rod's too??? you must be kidding.
    like i said i'm just doing this for the practice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Weld13,
    I don't think Sudown meant anything by it But in case you ARE right about maybe he and others didn't read an earlier post, I DID put words into your mouth and said, YOU said: you were better than all the older guys here!!!!
    (though you didn't...)Sorry if I got you in trouble!!! Far as "all your projects, hey, I think the same thing!!! Although I'm the same way: Fishing, Diving, now painting my dad's house, welding, gonna start doing e-bay soon, etc. None of my projects are finished, but now I try to do some that really don't HAVE to be completed...I wish I had your energy, in MY mind, I'm still 13!! (My wife says I am )
    Cat,
    Kilgos closed 2 months ago. Past few years have been horrible, with lack of service and most of their tools come with free rust! Hope to see you when you visit!
    Sundown and Dabar39,
    I HAD my heat a little hotter, and it had little tails and undercut, so I went down 4 amps. I think I burned those at 130amps, 1/4"plate on top to a 3/8" plate on the bottom. Had to do some painting on dad's house, so I didn't have as much time as I wanted.Gonna play with the new machine more to "dial it in". Also had trouble with the DIN connector. Stinger one was ok, but the ground wouldn't "lock in". Made it snug as it could and went to town. Stopped by Gaspro on the way home and he gave me a free one he happened to have. I hope it locks in better...
    thanks for the comments!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    weld_13 Quote:
    Originally Posted by fun4now
    i also don't think i have any material that thick to play with ?? and i only have one kind os rod to work with, 6018 i think ????????

Oh we were just going to use whatever we had
    certainly i'm only going to use what i have. i already changed to AC for you , now you want me to go buy more rod's too??? you must be kidding.
    like i said i'm just doing this for the practice.
    Nonono I wasn't saying use what we were going to use I ment material wise we were just using whatever we had laying around not to go out and buy stuff I'm too cheap for that, I would have to find it off the side of the road
    welding...its awsome

Hey, the whole REAL idea, was to give Weld13 a hard time, and to make you guys practice!!!! I'll send some rods your way anyway
    I'm not late...

Yeh but I haven't even gotten my beads done yet? I did some the other day and it was the frist time I had done it in that position and my cositinsy throughout the weld was just terrible. Will try to fit it in tomorrow was fishin today then once got home had to help mom and then to add a lightning storm came in.
    welding...its awsome

well, I think we all need the practice!
    How 'bout I send you some rods, by the time you use them, show us some pics then? I forget if it's the 5lb box that is on fun4now's pic, and I'll ship it snail mail, so it's cheaper Should be a good price on it at the tent sale this weekend
    I'm not late...

Funny thing is I need to keep up with manuvers with all the different rods. Started out welding for a while with 6011 then ran out so I just went to usin up my 7018 first and now I'm behind on 6011. I guess I can always depend on my sissy rod-7024 that stuff is a dream
    welding...its awsome

when you work for someone, you use what THEY have. Excellent experience to use all kinds of rods, show them here for feedback!
    Keep up the enthusiasm!
    I'm not late...