Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Frame Fab Help

Default Frame Fab Help

I have to fab a frame for a small powder coating oven (about 20 feet long, 6 feet high, 6 feet wide) out of 2x2 square tubing. I made a rough drawing below of the side view and then below it the top view. From the side you can see that the legs are not attached to anything at the bottom. I was thinking the best way to go would be to build the whole thing upside down and then flip it. Any other ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question Small Oven ???

Quote Originally Posted by nightfer View Post
    I have to fab a frame for a small powder coating oven (about 20 feet long, 6 feet high, 6 feet wide) out of 2x2 square tubing. I made a rough drawing below of the side view and then below it the top view. From the side you can see that the legs are not attached to anything at the bottom. I was thinking the best way to go would be to build the whole thing upside down and then flip it. Any other ideas?
    nightfer hi, & Welcome; First where are you doing this job??
    Do you have access to an overhead crane or a
    fork lift ??
    If you do I'd fab up the sections, six I presume ?
    Then assemble them, tack them in place( solid tacks )
    Brace the sections, and weld it up !!
    ............. Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Build each side seperate,flat on the floor. Then stand the two sides up and put the roof members on.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Build one side flat on floor or table then build second side on top of it. This way you don't have to measure or layout for the second side. Stand them up & connect them. Remember that this can get kinda heavy when your done. I would cut the top piece total length less 1/4" so you can cap each end with 1/8 plate. The four leg tubes would run from under the top & go to the floor & the bottom tube & two horizontal tubes would fit in between the legs. Short vertical tubes would be cut to fit in between each horizontal tube as needed.
    Last edited by MMW; 01-11-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Why does the oven have to set up off of the floor? My powdercoater has an oven that's 20x8x9 and sits on the concrete floor. That way he can push racks in and out. It seems like getting stuff in an oven 20 feet deep would be almost impossible if it's off the floor.
    Jim