Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propane tank

My understanding of train whistles is that they require steam to sound authentic.

Until you get proper training Don't do it

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    My understanding of train whistles is that they require steam to sound authentic.

Until you get proper training Don't do it

TJ
    wat he said

Inferno Forge

Chris

Default About what I thought!

Thanks for the advise.
    I was fairly sure I was not going to weld it before i asked, you guys sorta of affirmed my thoughts.

I appreciate having the ability to ask a question like this and receive direct answers. Local practical experience is getting more hard to find all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperdog View Post

Local practical experience is getting more hard to find all the time.

Yeh it's pretty bad when I am the only guy around that people ask those sort of questions to and I ain't got a clue.

SundownIII put it best

Default listen to the other guys

If it's not already dangerous enough for a novice to deal with an explosion risk from the propane, it doubles the jeopardy now that it is a pressure vessel. As the others suggested, DON'T DO IT. Now that's my personal opinion, but I'm sure there would be some pretty colors when it goes off. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Talking

I like the idea of using an air compressor tank and the original fittings that somone suggested earlier. It just might be cheaper than having the propane tank modified.

while I haven't done it on that large of a vessel, I have done projects with 20 lb. propane cylinders before. I take all of the fittings out, fill with water, drain, fill with water again and begin working with it full of water. Now, when you throw the pressure vessel thing into the mix, a simple rule applies, if you doubt your abilities in any way, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperdog View Post
    I am involved with a community project where a large volume of air pressure is required to blow an old time steam whistle.
    We are estimating we will require around 100 reserve gallons of air to make it blow.
    One of the "expirts" on the committee believes he can obtain a 200 gallon propane tank for this purpose. I questioned my ability and courage to weld a bung into this large enough to provide the required air supply. I am thinking
    2" or so.
    Anybody have any experience welding on used propane tanks, I am not sure I want to do it or allow anybody else to get hurt doing such a job.
    A commit here. First I was in the propane business for nearly 30 years. The ordorizer is an oil based product that will impregrenate into the metal pores. The ordorizer is flammable also. Now to be safe! forget it . In order to render the tank safe it must be steamed out to remove all the ordorizer. How old is the tank?? is it butane or propane. butane has a working pressure of 100-125 psi while propane has a working pressure of 200-250psi working pressure depending on the year of mfg. Another thought has the tank been out side for years without having any propane in it. This starts the rusting process inside the tank due to condensation. In turn the rusting will weakin the metal because you are talking about using the tank for pressure. Folks use the old tanks for BBQ pits and thats ok, but I would sure hesitate without a long thought of what could happen now or later on when you put the pressure in the tank. Do not remove the pop off valves if you decide to build this set up, it is for your safety.