Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool Hey Smokey_

I was wondering how everything worked out for ya?

Not sure did that test today as well as my overhead Stick plate as well. They dont cut or bend them till tue/wend which really sucks. Both went ok, some arc problem at start/stop but i think its still fused good.. On my mig everything went good except for on my cap i had a blob of slag or something land in 2nd last beed, he still accepted it as it wasnt bad but still sucked.

I just hope that it fused as alot of peaple fail this test. I did the push technique intsead of pulling although i still believe it is better weld if u do.

if i pass these two tests ill have my all postion stick, flux core flat, mig flat

should be a good start, now to find a job!!

Cool CWB Testing

I'm happy for ya.With your stop and starts did you start just behind where you left off then fill up where you stopped then continue on to finish that pass.When you first start they will cut off the first 2" and last 2" of the test piece and throw that away and test the middle.If you feel good about your welding then there is no reason for you not to pass.Fingers are crossed.
    What type of work are you looking for by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmik View Post
    I'm happy for ya.With your stop and starts did you start just behind where you left off then fill up where you stopped then continue on to finish that pass.When you first start they will cut off the first 2" and last 2" of the test piece and throw that away and test the middle.If you feel good about your welding then there is no reason for you not to pass.Fingers are crossed.
    What type of work are you looking for by the way.

well here in ontario they cut 3/4" off each end then cut into 3 and bend the two startstops on ends out that way, and do a face bend on the other. I Failed the Mig test had about a 8mm crack on 90 degree stop start.

However i did pass my overhead SMAW so I have my all position stick and flux core now. I will try the mig again next week althought i am pratcicing the pull teqnique now and am going to try it.

As for work, im not really sure, i would like to get into some structural steel work and eventually start doing pipe welding as well. Im stuck in town where i am right now but would like to move in a year to alberta or novascotia.

Default job

where are you doing your tests smokey?are you going through a school?I would like to see the quality of your welds ,iam a welding contractor and am always looking for new talent and i dont mind teaching to bring you up to speed so drop me a line and well talk ,

WOW!!! THIS IS COOL Job placement/contracts AND fee advice!!
    THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by man of steel View Post
    where are you doing your tests smokey?are you going through a school?I would like to see the quality of your welds ,iam a welding contractor and am always looking for new talent and i dont mind teaching to bring you up to speed so drop me a line and well talk ,

I am doing my tests at the northern ontario welding college. I have done some welding before and also was in sheet metal trade for 3 years. I am best with stick welding but am also good at mig and flux. I can do tig as well although not something i like to do for extended periods(reminds me of sowing). Im also good with a torch and running equipemnt. So far I have my CWB all position stick, flat fluxcore and hopefully next week flat mig.

I also think i found out what happend with my root pass, when restarting i came back into weld from end of plate but aimed away from joint then tried to adjust back into the crack. I am practicing now to start from behind the stop in the face bend then quickly move up to start and go. Hopefully this works better for me. I look at the coupons today and they were flawless except for the one little crack.

Makes me mad but its only the first test ive faild and most students only get 3 tickets when there and i already have 5 so i think i did alright. I want this ticket though cause im really good with process and i see lots of jobs that want mig ticket.

As for a job, well i am always intersted in good work for fair pay. I would even move if job was worth it. I am 29 years old now with lots of metal working experiance and a mature attitude.

Anyways thanks for all your replys with my thread. I like this forum good for welders to have a forum like this, even with canadian members