Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thats why I asked for help. I dont want to break one thing after another. I sure dont want to stress the bolt enough to break off.

The AC condenser and tranny cooler stick out well beyond the bolts. If Im to make it one bracket instead of two Id have to add 2-3 inches on the back side to shim away from that X brace.

How about this alternative? I use a good heavy piece of angle and move the attachment point directly under the bolt or even behind the Xbrace. Then build a new bracket that would angle from the bolt to the bolt on the bumper. The bracket would no longer be straight in line with the truck but instead wider at the bumper than at the radiator support. That way I wouldnt have a super heavy piece to do more damage on impact. In case of impact the angled bracket would already be in line to "collapse".
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Maybe a bracket attached directly to the bumper about where the existing ones are.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

fabricator,

It took me a while to understand what you meant. This bumper is mounted to the frame under the stock bumper. The bracket Im talking about here comes out over the bumper and attaches to the radiator support to steady it and keep it from falling forward. A manly bumper would have solid mounts most probably bolted to stock bumper itself.

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    ........I was concerned if it was heavier metal the radiator support may be the next victim.
    who was the first victim?

Thats why I asked for help. I dont want to break one thing after another.
    stop hitting people!!!
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Quote Originally Posted by welderman23 View Post
    stop hitting people!!!
    Welderman, KEEP UP WITH THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

He''s not hitting people,

HE'S KILLING BAMBI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

There have no deaths associated with this project. I didnt do it. Nobody saw me do it. You cant prove anything.

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

There have no deaths associated with this project. I didnt do it. Nobody saw me do it. You cant prove anything.
    Ugh Oh....I didn't see any smiley faces in this one!!!
    I'm not late...

Guys what you don't see is more than the real story on my bumper. I built it out of scrap, it is covered in 1/4" checker plate and backed up by 1/2" vertical frame mounting plates. I hit a Honda Accord that was 3 monthes old which was totaled, and it only scratched the corner of the bumper. I did however later bend it in an unpleasant adventure with a tree in my driveway that left a bend in the bottom of the center.

Believe this guys, I am rebuilding the body on that truck and it has 270,000 miles on it......Yea, A tree fell on it in my driveway.:mad It was a crushing experience. hehe!

Deer do not have a chance, I have killed 3 with this beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Seaman View Post
    I did however later bend it in an unpleasant adventure with a tree in my driveway that left a bend in the bottom of the center.
    PAUL IS GIVING ALL YOU GUYS A GOOD LESSON: DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Seaman View Post
    Deer do not have a chance, I have killed 3 with this beast.
    Ummm....Did you make a BBQ grill out of scrap??? Ummm...BBQ deermeat?
    (sniff sniff....Flyingpig is pleading the 5th...but YOU!!! SO BLATENT!!!)

Awsome job on the bumper though.....
    I'm not late...

I use the manly truck to kill deer. Not the girly one.

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG