Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for the help Mark.

I was going to use and under bottle jack but after looking at your two different designs.....I'm thinking on top with a all thread might be easier and better.

I built a 36" plate roller that I use by hand, it works great Its only been done for a few months so I dont know all of its capacities but we did roll some 1/2 x 6 plate and 36" of 10 gage, obviously not in 1 pass but working it back and forth gets the job done.

Wow 1/2 X 6 by hand...you must have some big arms

Mind sharing a pic?

Default Beautiful Work!

67 chevelle I went to the shopfloortalk forum and reviewed your beautiful project. I got about 5 projects just from seeing the pictures of your shop!
    Beautiful work on the roller. I think I'll start with a welding bench similar to the one pictured. Yours seems to have a drawer supported by some angle stock resting on the square tubing frame. Is it a sliding drawer? What is the purpose of the piano hinge? Is that 1/2" plate on the top? Thanks for any help you can provide! BTW I signed up over at shopfloortalk and used '67 chevelle' as the referring member and got 'invalid referrer'. Maybe I spelled you wrong or put in an extra blank space. DrBob

DrBob,

The cart you're referring to is a small roll around work cart.

The drawer you see is a fold down table that used to be in a mail truck. I used some drawer slides to mount a couple of them under the tops of some carts I built.

I'd never heard the term "piano hinge" before ( I gotta get out more )

The hinge is the backside of the drawer, I just didn't take it off before I mounted the drawer.

The top is 1/4", It's only meant for the light duty stuff.

Here's a better image of the one I use for my TIG machine
    ( I know.. It's red , both of my MIG's are blue though)

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...5&d=1170393416

Mark

Lets see some pics of that roller Portable welder.

Default Thanks Mark

I'd never heard the term "piano hinge" before

Well it's the term my shop teacher used to describe a long hinge of that type.
    I guess some version of it is used on the tops of pianos - I can only play the radio myself BTW I took metal shop in the 1950s so maybe it's called something else now

I'm building a bench to hold projects for welding with my new MM180 which welds rings around my old Lincoln.

Another newbie question. I keep reading people buying stuff from a place they refer to as HF - wazzat? (I know I'll kick myself when I hear the answer).

Thanks for posting the picture of your bench.
    DrBob

HF is Harbor Freight DrBob.

Some of there stuff is a level below China made. But for some disposable tools it will get you by.

Went there to get chip brushes...walked by the air comp stuff and though **** need a quick chuck so I bought a pack. Third time I released the tool from it, it flew apart...wild hose about took the family jewels. That's kinda HF in a nut shell.

Nut shell............I get it
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by etonline View Post

Ed H, what are the adjustment distances on yours?

I was thinking I'd start with the first adjustment at about 5" with 3" wheels. And go about every 2.5".

Ed

Ed--Vertical adjustmant range in mine is about 5". Horizontal spacing for the un-driven rolls is 10, 15, or 20". These weren't from any calculation. Just seemed about right.

--ed_h