Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oxy Acetylene Welding Autobodies?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHander View Post
    You can forget using OA on autobodies. Somewheres about the early-mid '70s the alloys used were changed. You might be able to fuse it together, but it will be very brittle. At some point the insurance companies told the bodyshops, if they did not have a mig welder on hand, that they would not be paid. They got tired of cars falling apart after being welded with OA. (Dad was in the autobody business for 60+ years.)

Will
    I'm looking for further input on this question. It seems strange to me that you could weld chrome moly 4130 or 304 stainless (with flux) with OA, but not the alloys used in auto bodies. Can anyone explain just what alloys are used and what the difficulties might be. I want to weld some patch panels on a mid-80's Toyota pickup bed (bedside). -- Matt

I for one second that because I would like to know if I will have to get in touch with some friends so I can borrow a mig welder for workin on a possible jeep for my mom or if I coudl get away with o/a
    welding...its awsome

wow, that's a shock! those that fell apart must have been a guy that didn't know what he was doing! My grandfather had "Wong's Auto Body" since 1941, took over by my uncle, then died out from too much competition...
    Didn't know it had to be mig or nothing...Weld13, if you know how to do it right, I can't see the insurance company complaining if they don't know! You might want to visit some body shops or ask/call up the votech teacher and ask him...
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default O/A on auto body

You can o/a on the outer body panels, it was the uni body and structural supports that could not be done with out a mig. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Either way it will be worked out because know of a couple of people locally with migs and once you do a coulpe of favors and stuff they always give back in fact one complemented after I miged up something on his machine said it was mine to borrow if I ever needed it or anything else. My brother is also an expert on o/a welding don't know how he does it so well but I think I will start gettin some more practice on it so I can show him up on that cause he can't even use a mig very well. I have only done it about once and hes worked a whole summer job of o/a welding on aluminum and steel. The jeep would be an 80's model cj7 but am still looking for one in good shape at a decent price
    welding...its awsome

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    You can o/a on the outer body panels, it was the uni body and structural supports that could not be done with out a mig. Dave
    Alright thanks Dave
    welding...its awsome

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    The bed I'm working on has metal sides that measure at 17 gauge. My patches will most likely be 16 gauge. I'll be working with a #2 tip (23A90 type) on a Harris torch. Any ideas on what type and diameter of filler rod I should use? -- Matt
    Last edited by wrenchtech; 07-28-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Just a thought make shure you look at what a local welding store gives you because someone we know went to a store bought what he thought was a aluiminum rod for o/a and then found out once he gave it to my brother and he found out the hard way it was for steel
    welding...its awsome

i would think just standerd steel filler would be fine. try to stay close to the same size with the filler as your base metal.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

so why no O/A on the unibody?? too much haz??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES