Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 375 W-Treme plasma cutter

A question for all the plasma cutting experts. I brought the Miller 375 E-Treme plasma cutter, read the manual, then did some test cuts. I wanted to make as clean as cut as possible so I also brought the staight edge guide with the two wheels. This allows the user to maintain a constant stand off. It worked fine but was bulky and hard to use near a narrow edge. Miller offers a three part accessory that allows you to hold the torch , ICE-27T, right on the work. Part #'s 225671 Tip, 225672 Retaining Cup, and 225616 Drag Shield. My question? When assembled the tip is flush with the drag shield, which means there is no stand off. Logic tells me this is a worthless setup. The manager at WestAir agreed and advised against spending the money. He did show me a drag shield for a different Miller torch and the shield had notchs in it which seemed to form a smalll amount of stand off. Has anyone used these parts for the ICE-27T with any success or is Miller just selling worthless accessories. Thanks for the input.

I can't help you with the Miller 375-E-Treme plasma cutter, but I have a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 with the T60 torch. This torch is fitted with the drag shield, which has the four notches as you describe and gives a setback for the tip of the nozzle of about 1/8" to 3/16". The drag shield works great! You put the torch flat on, and in contact with the work. I use a piece of 1/2" angle for a guide and get perfectly straight cuts.

There is a fine cut kit for the T-60. The fine cut nozzles do not use a drag shield. You have to hold the torch off the work. I bought the straight edge guide with the wheels, but like you found this to be a LPITA. Way too bulky. I use the angle with the fine cut nozzles, but you quickly find that if you touch the nozzle to the work, well, you have ruined that expensive nozzle.

If you can get a drag shield with the notches and that offers the nozzle setback you will find that this is really a sweet setup. Takes a little practice to start the cut without frapping hot metal up into the drag shield, but once you get that down you can make perfectly straight cuts quickly all day long with nothing more than a piece of polished up 1/2" angle as a guide. Hope this helps till someone with experience with the 375 comes along.

I have the 375 X-Treme with the Miller drag shield. If you look at the tip closely you will see it is actually just short of making contact. Additional air passes between the tip and the drag shield making the tip almost float just microns off the surface. I use a straight edge and drag my drag tip along it for perfect results.

My welding supply guy had little knowledge of the plasma tips and tried to convince me to drag a standard tip. I did but the results were not so nice and the tip life sucked. I love my Miller drag tip and I really love my 375 X-Treme.