Since I started doing appliance repair, I have often found that it would be helpful to have 270 lb gorilla named Guido tagging around with me when I do oven repairs, especially double wall ovens. We have this cart
that we use to pull them out to work on them. Not very sturdy, as you can see, and tough to use in some of the more poorly designed (at least when it comes to 400+ lb oven installation and removal) kitchens.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and came up with the idea of a hydraulically operated lift table. I came across this one on eBay, and since their store was 4 miles off the route I was taking back from picking up my welders, I thought I would stop in to check it out. I talked them into giving me the eBay price ($89). I would save the shipping cost -$55- and I now have my prototype. Here are the specs on it:

SPECIFICATIONS
* 660 lb Capacity
* Closed height: 11" from floor,
* Max Height: 29-1/2"
* Table is 31-7/8" x 19-3/4"
* Two 5 Fixed Casters
* Two 5" Locking Swivel Casters
* Shipping Weight: 128 lbs.

Now, one thing you'll notice is the last spec, 128 lbs. Without the box, prob is 125. Not exactly something that one person would like to haul around, not a whole lot easier than just moving it with the cart we use now.

Here are a couple of typical wall ovens that we need to service:

S P E C I F I C AT I O N S
Overall Oven Width 29 7/8"
Overall Oven Height 50"
Overall Oven Depth 24"
Shipping Weight 466 lbs

or this one

Overall Width 29 1/2
Overall Height 51 1/4
Overall Depth 25 9/16
Approximate Weight 402 lbs.

Seeing as these things weigh over 400 lbs, I like the idea of it being able to handle 660 lbs, good to have a little reserve built in. The table on it is 32x20", so it's a little wider than it needs to be, 28-30" would be better, and a 20" depth is fine as it can overhang a little, they have flat bottoms. Easier to maneuver in some of the tighter kitchens

What I need to do is to pretty much make this thing, approx the same dims, maybe a little smaller, but it needs to lose (ideally) about 50-60 lbs, and still have the same capacity.

I was thinking of making (some/most/all) it in Aluminum, that would certainly cut the weight back a bit. One thing I need to do is break it down somewhat, to see what the individual components weigh, i.e. table, hydraulics, frame, lift beams, etc. Once that is done, I'd be able to see where I could lose some weight but still keep the strength, by choosing the correct materials. I don't want to go exotic like titanium or things like that.

Anyone have any suggestions as to improving my methodology, or on materials to use to achieve my objectives? I will be attaching a removable slide board to it, to make it easier to slide the ovens off and on.

Thanks for any advice!