Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Casters for table?

Whats the best and worst casters to put under my table legs? Steel, poly, rubber, air or hard?

Im building 3 tables and want them all the same height and capacity. Saw some today at Harbor Freight that looked like good wheels but cheesy brackets.

Help me out. I only want to do this once.

Thanks
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

The rolling surface of the wheel - Steel or Poly - depends on the specifics of your application.

I would stay away from pneumatic tires as they are not really designed for this application, and will lose air "sitting" which will alter stability and height.

Best of luck.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Probably hard surface like garage or driveway. I didnt like the idea of air tires due to hot metal ***** rolling around on the floor. I also dont want my table to "bounce" when Im wailing away with a hammer doing destructive testing....

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

I like hard rubber casters.
    They roll over small debris better than steel.
    Also the larger the better, easier to roll.

Casters on sale -

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0&N=762991+120

Oh yeah -

Check Enco monthly sales flyer.

Usually FREE shipping > $50. with code.

A summary of my experience:

Pneumatic will go flat eventually. Murphy suggests it will be flat when you want to move it

Steel will hold the most weight, will not flat spot, requires a clean rolling surface.

Non-steel has "anti steel" properties. They usually hold less weight - but may hold "enough" weight for your application. They may flat spot but that depends on what kind of caster material and how much weight they are holding up. And because they are "softer" than steel are more tollerant of stuff on the rolling surface.

As large a diameter as practical.

In general I have found steel to have the most load capacity per caster dollar and use the "clean rolling surface" as an incentive to clean up the floor more often than I would without the incentive.

An alternative design I have used is casters as "transportation only" and have adjustable pads that I lower when I get the table to where I am going. That way the table legs can be adjusted to take into account the variances of the floor and my need to make the table level or the same height as something else. It seems to provide a more stable platform than a table on wheels - even with good wheel brakes. And given that the wheels are simply for movement allows me to use a type that I would not have choosen if they were the primary table support.
    Last edited by arvidj; 01-04-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post

Pneumatic will go flat eventually. Murphy suggests it will be flat when you want to move it

Steel will hold the most weight, will not flat spot, requires a clean rolling surface.

Non-steel has "anti steel" properties. They usually hold less weight - but may hold "enough" weight for your application. They may flat spot but that depends on what kind of caster material and how much weight they are holding up. And because they are "softer" than steel are more tollerant of stuff on the rolling surface.

In general I have found steel to have the most load capacity per caster dollar and use the "clean rolling surface" as an incentive to clean up the floor more often than I would without the incentive.

An alternative design I have used is casters as "transportation only" and have adjustable pads that I lower when I get the table to where I am going. That way the table legs can be adjusted to take into account the variances of the floor and my need to make the table level or the same height as something else. It seems to provide a more stable platform than a table on wheels - even with good wheel brakes. And given that the wheels are simply for movement allows me to use a type that I would not have choosen if they were the primary table support.
    I agree, I have 4 1000 lb steel catsers from northern, 15 bucks ea at the time and only use them for tranport. The table is supported by 4 1" bolts with 4" plates. It weighs 2000+ lbs empty so I was worried about anything but steel wheels... Plus being able to level it anywhere is great.
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

My table wont weigh anywhere near a ton. Ive thought about moving it like a wheel barrow with fixed casters only on one end and pull out handles.

Ive decided on 3 tables. 2, 2X2 and one 2X4 all the same height to make holders for long pipe etc.

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

My table is kinda small, 2' X 4' but rather than put wheels on mine. I just use the pallet jack to move it around. However I did make plow dollys to move our plows around the shop on a concrete floor. I used 4 - 750lb rated polyurethane over steel wheels, 4" x 2" for each dolly. The plows weigh a little over a ton and the wheels work perfect. They will go over fine dirt but if there is a lot of debris, it needs to be cleaned up.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default Pic's of table caster setup ?

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post

ARVIDJ, is there any way you could post pics of your table casters, it sounds like the perfect solution but I'm having a hard time picturing it ? Thanks