Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Helmets

Wow thats kinda wierd that they dont allow auto darkening helmets at vo-tech schools. When i was taking welding in college the instructors advised us to go and get an auto darkener just to make life easier and to get our structural tickets a little easier as well. Kinda comes back at ya though cause now welding in the field all my welding is done with fixed shade helmet... oh well

I'm not shure why votec schools don't allow auto darkiners but I don't think my local one allows them either. I would have to check though because they have a jobsiting thing that they host at the votec for dif. careers to learn whats out there and they have a booths for their classes. Thats the reason why I would like to not use auto darkining. I own a auto darkining flame design helmet that works really well but since some jobs and schools don't allow them I would rather stay with a fixed shade. Thanks guys
    welding...its awsome

i would think it much easyer to see what all is going on when being shown how to do something as it would all be black untill the arc strikes, where as if its an auto dark you can see how he sets up to strike and start the arc, not just the arc as it lights.
    the auto hood would be a great help in a lerning inviorment. i would want my students to have one and if i were the student i would defenetly want an auto hood.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    are you looking for the ones shaped like a skull or bulldog face ?? if so i have seen them on e-bay but not shore where else to look for them.
    I tried googling the company name, but nothing comes up.

The name of the company that makes the skull, gorilla, werewolf type helmets is "Hoodlums". I met the guy that owns the company a few years ago at the AWS show in Cleveland. He's a real charming fellow.

As far as a standard no-auto darken the Jackson Shadow helmet can be purchased at almost any welding supply company.

Part #0744-0504 for color black. Also available in red, blue, green. Pricing runs about $40 and comes with shade 10 lens. Pricing runs about $40 and comes with shade 10 lens.
    Last edited by jwsrep; 07-28-2007 at 03:27 PM.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

I'd buy the black and paint it yourself Get masking tape and make your own flames! Good practice for a future project that may come up
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

That is a good idea I was gonna use stickers but that sounds cooler. I think im gonna start maskin up my helmet but might start with my cheapo one first rather than my flip shade
    welding...its awsome

I have a bunch of stickers on my 1st 2 helmets, but picked up another cheap one at the last tent sale for a backup. I want to mask and spray it one day
    (no,no contest on that one ), who knows, do a good job and may get some work for yourself out of it
    I'm not late...

Default fixed lens helmet

Jackson hood available at most any welding supply, This one cost me about 30 bucks. Decals were supplied by my nieces, They didn't think I looked mean enough with the plain white hood. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Nieces huh? If it weren't for your pics, I was thinking the slapped some care-bear stickers on your helmet!!! But those are VERY cool!!! By the looks/age of your helmet, your nieces are what...40 years old now???
    Should show the sticker on my helmet. Maybe I will when I take pics of my welds btw, do you have enough pipe wrenches??????!!!!
    I'm not late...

Yeh I saw those in the background too mabye we should ''borrow'' those sometime
    welding...its awsome