Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Kevin View Post
    Kevin,

With the serial number you provided I figured that is was not a Milller unit but I went through my cross reference chart and had another tech double check his as well to confirm. The unit you have there was not made by Miller Electric.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance with this.
    Thank you, very much, for trying. I appreciate your good work here.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    It may be that the Easy Arc was made by Mid-States Manufacturing. They had a MST-160 which people have said is just like the AIRCO Tri-Arc 160. Same polarity/process switch handle as the Easy Arc. I believe they were bought by AIRCO. Maybe ESAB has a manual.
    Thanks for that! I will try doing some more research with ESAB and report back if I learn anything helpful.

I emailed ESAB to see if they had any information.
    Hope to hear something back from them soon.

I am looking forward to hearing what ESAB has to say in their reply email to you. I have not been able to find anything they have made that looks very much like our welders.

I know I can probably plug it in and learn about the machine through a series of mistakes but I would feel much better about everything if I could see a manual. I have never dealt with an industrial welder so I am looking for some light at the end of the information tunnel!

I will keep looking and hopefully we can identify the source of these Airco welders.

No reply back from ESAB. I don't know that they necessarily made the Easy Arc, but I think they did buy out AIRCO, so maybe they acquired the intellectual property on the welder and have the design notes.

Someone had put a 30A plug on the AIRCO Easy Arc AC/DC 250 I have so I cut it off and wired on a 50A 250V plug. I need to replace the 50A 240V receptacle in the shop since the previous owner didn't get the kind that goes in a box, so the cover always comes off this one and sometimes all terminals don't make contact.

First try the welder turned on and the fan is running. I did notice sparks when I turned it off. So I pulled the cover and was amazed by all the mechanical methods of getting stuff to work.

Found the sparks were from the On/Off switch when I turned it off.

Even the 'simple' on/off switch is a mechanical wonder. The dial for the DCRP/DCSP/AC is really interesting, would be a pain to have to ever come up with something to replace it but it looks pretty interesting. Different plates that come in contact in different positions all just to connect either the + or - of the diodes to the outputs (I assume there are some large diodes in there, but still need to find them).

I did notice on the board that sits in the middle of the welder there are some disk style capacitors on the circuit board. I noticed the lead on one end is broke off of one. So I'm wondering what affect not having that capacitor complete in the circuit will have?

It looks like this board sits on top of what may be the rectifier section to get DC. I'm wondering if it will be worth taking that board out and replacing the capacitor. If your looking at that board from the front of the welder, it is the capacitor that sits by itself on the left.

I will post some pictures of it later in the week when I can.
    I didn't have any welder leads made up to connect to it to see if it welds ok, so I will have to try that later.
    Last edited by clint738; 03-28-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Is there anyway to verify an arc welder output with a Fluke meter or tektronix oscilloscope?

Would either be a better tool to use?

Should it just be an AC waveform output when set to AC and a flat DC output when set to DC with the polarity reversed when changing the setting from DCRP to DCSP?

Is there a certain amount of ripple voltage that is acceptable when set to DC for the DC rods like 6010 to operate correctly?

I wired it with 6/2 wire and a 50 amp breaker on a 40 foot run. The welder works beautifully. I am impressed with the way this machine lays on the weld. (Airco EasyArc AC/DC 250 & supply wire to outlet)
    Last edited by kbeatty; 04-06-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added welder information

Still no word from ESAB, so much for customer service. Guess I'll forget looking at their AD helmets in the future if there service is like this.

I'm also wiring the Airco Easy Arc 250 AC/DC welder I have with 6/2 50Amp but my receptacle will only be about 10-15 feet from the service panel.

Default Airco info

I've been welding for many years...mostly stick and mig. Just bought a older Airco TIG machine for $500.00 less argon bottle. I understand this machine might have been made by Miller. Looking for cross reference and owner info. The machine is in San Diego Ca. and I'm in Sparks Nev. I had my son (who lives in S.D.) check it out and weld some with it. He says it's a beauty and welds real quiet & nice. It has the antifreeze cooling and some other features that I'll have to get to know. My son let me know that this is a big heavy machine and will take up some space in the garage. That's ok with me and I'll move things around. I'm really looking to do some aluminum projects. Anyway, the info I can get from the pictures off Craigslist is this is an Airco AC/DC Heliwelder Model 2A/DDR - 24 HPA. The range lever is partially blocking the information area on the front plate, so I'm hoping this will be enough info to figure out what manufacture this machine is. My son will pick the machine up this evening and I'll be going down that way for grandsons graduation the first of June. I'll bring it back then.

Thumbs up

Ok...got a buddy leaving for S.D. tonight (picking up a sandrail). He's going to swing by my son's place and pick up the Airco Heliwelder. I'll be able to have hands-on by Monday or Tuesday. Think I'll be able to find out much more info about it than just the model no. As soon as I can, I will post pics, ser. no., and other info and hopefully be able to find some literature on the beast.