Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default What machine would be the best fit for my needs??!

Im rigging up an 80s model chevy dually for weekend work. Ill be welding what i can for instance; repairing buckets on heavy equipment, pipe fencing for farm use and random jobs i can wrap up on a weekend and so forth. Ive been looking at a bobcat 250 however i want to have a machine that i wont "outgrow" too soon. Eventually, the idea is for me to work for myself once i feel like i have a strong enough client base. I dont see myself going independent for well over a year or so. From this, what machine would you suggest for my needs? If there is another model or manufacture that you think i should look at, im all ears. Thanks!

For what your wanting to do, a bobcat 250 will serve you well.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
    ....however i want to have a machine that i wont "outgrow" too soon. Eventually, the idea is for me to work for myself once i feel like i have a strong enough client base. I dont see myself going independent for well over a year or so. From this, what machine would you suggest for my needs? If there is another model or manufacture that you think i should look at, im all ears. Thanks!
    If you are considering expanding your capabilities to MIG & Fluxcore, Spoolgun, Suitcase feeder or even TIG...

I would strongly suggest considering a "Trailblazer"

the availability of the 14 pin control connector with supporting circuitry on the Trailblazer makes that expansion simple and hassle free... actually "Plug & Play"....
    not as simple or seamless on a Bobcat..

That more than makes up the difference in price between the two...
    Last edited by H80N; 03-25-2014 at 05:34 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I agree. I would look for a used trailblazer

H80N and Ciggotto6, You guys are dead on in my opinion, Sorry Snoepro but I have to disagree with you.

Missille Man said he wants a machine he wont grow out of.

Missle man, For a little more than the cost of a Bobcat you can have a Trail Blazer that will do excellent lift arc Tig, Awesome mig welding with a suitcase feeder from as thin as sheet metal all the way up to laying down .045 wire on heavy equipment, When it comes to arc welding ( Also a great machine )

When you need to air carbon arc it does a great job there also, just use 3/16" carbons.

If your running your machine 30 plus hours a week, Week after Week like a pipe welder then you might want a diesel.

I just gave my cousins son who is going to be a union pipe welder one of my older Trail Blazers to practice with so he doesn't have to make a trip to the union hall to practice and its a 1995 still going strong.

I still have 2 other Trail Blazers, One for back up, one on my Foreman's Rig and I have a 2001 Pipe pro on my Rig.