Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thebrute View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum and I have some questions about a trailer I am planning on building. I am going to build a 5X10 trailer. (3500lb torsion, 14" wheels, steel mesh floor) I would like this trailer to be rigid and fairly heavy duty. It is going to be used to haul everything from ATV's to heavy firewood loads. My question is about the materials I plan to use. Instead of the flimsy angle iron most are constructed of, I am thinking of using medium gauge 1" square tube. (Or 3/4") Any ideas or suggestions.

I will be using a Miller 251 Wirefeed Welder
    1x1 is waaaaaaaay too small for a trailer, don't even consider it. I've got a 3000# 5X10 trailer (Big Tex 29SA) that's all made of 2x3x3/16 angle, and it handled a 4500# cube of 8" blocks with NO flexing at all.

trailer mf'rs use angle because it's cheap and it works.

My 7000# 14' homesteader challenger (714CT) uses tube for the main frame rails, and angle for everything else. there's no discernable flex in that one either...
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    1x1 is waaaaaaaay too small for a trailer, don't even consider it. I've got a 3000# 5X10 trailer (Big Tex 29SA) that's all made of 2x3x3/16 angle, and it handled a 4500# cube of 8" blocks with NO flexing at all.

trailer mf'rs use angle because it's cheap and it works.

My 7000# 14' homesteader challenger (714CT) uses tube for the main frame rails, and angle for everything else. there's no discernable flex in that one either...
    Heck what he probably saw was the suspension flexing

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Hope I did not rain on anyones parade. After building my 14ft, it sure appeared to me the initial specs on this post were on the light side. Thats why I shared my specs. I have two more trailer plans in the mill. A dump and a follow-on 18ft enclosed. I'll bump up the main runners and tongue on the 18ft to 3/16" rectangle tube. Will probably encroach on Debar kind nature for some general tips on the dump. This is a great site, lots of ideas, lots of practical experience and willing-to-help participants. Pleased to be assoicated.
    Last edited by Geezer; 12-31-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Corrected Content

I'm not sure that I understand his intentions on material to use on the trailer. He only mentioned 1" sq tubing to begin with, then mentioned 2x4" steel for the hitch. If you build the frame out of 1" sq tubing and stick 2x4" tubing onto it for the hitch you have zilch. Maybe he's figuring 2x4" tubing for the hitch and frame and 1" cross members (too light). I guess we'll never know though.
    Jim

Given the information that was provided, it's understandable why so many people feel that 1" x 1" tubing would be wholly inadequate for use in the OP's specified application. However, what these people fail to realize is, that not only is 1" x 1" tubing adequate, it is in fact more desirable to use than its conventional counterparts in certain circumstances.

For instance, if the frame were to be comprised of many diagonal/triangular elements forming a lattice (much like that of a truss bridge) it would make the whole assembly rigid, yet extremely lightweight. And this factor is indeed important, especially in light of some information that the OP inadvertently failed to mention--this trailer will be exclusively pulled by bicycle:

http://www.sfbike.org/images/resourc...r_shanghai.jpg

I believe if the one inch sq tube was reinforced with balsa and ca it would be ok.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Talking Trailer ??

Ya , Add some Balsa Wood and make it a Glider Aero Plane ??
    .............. Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

It looks as if I'm gonna have to recall all 647 trailers built at my location, all this time I thought myself and the other trailer manufacturers had something going with our designs. Boy, I guess we were wrong, 1" tubing and balsa wood was all we ever needed.

I can not even imagine how great a loss of profits I've had by not using 1" tube for the frames. Just thinking of the money I have spent on what I thought were the proper materials astounds me. I probably would'a been a gazillionaire by now.

At least it's not too late for me to reinvent the wheel, starting today I will start offering all of my trailers with a 1" square tube truss design frame as it is so much better than what we have commonly seen on the open trailer market. I'm sure all of the other manufacturers will follow this new engineering design as well.

mk10, I seriously hope your post was made in jest, the same as this reply is intended
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I believe if the one inch sq tube was reinforced with balsa and ca it would be ok.
    Monte!!!!....you hit a thousand posts!!!!!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

He!!...............I'm as surprised as you are........did I win anything?
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a
    Last edited by monte55; 01-01-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge