Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    I have a couple of questions for ya before I can help ya.

Why a torsion axle on this type of trailer?
    Are you making it a flat deck or will it have side rails.
    Any particular reason for using expanded metal (mesh) as a deck
    Will it have a tailgate or ramp gate attached to it?

The materials you have outlined for the project will be for extremely light duty use with maybe a couple hundred lbs. max payload.

Give me some more details and background of it's intended uses and I may be able to help you better.
    3500 Torsion due to the fact that I have one sitting here and they are extremely simple and need very little maintenance.

It will have 1' side rails.
    Mesh due to storing wood on it until burned. (Need water to drain through if it gets through the tarp)

No tailgate. Research has shown that a mesh tailgate puts almost as much resistance in the wind as a solid sheet of plywood standing up on the back of your trailer.

"A couple hundred of pounds?" I plan on using 2X4 steel to run the entire legnth for the hitch. My plans call for about 120' legnth of whatever steel I decide to use. Remember folks... This is gonna be a 5X10' Trailer, its not big.

I plan on using it for wood, 1 ATV (800 lbs), and various other uses. (I also have a tandem 18' flatbed and a 28' triple gooseneck for real heavy haulin)

Thanks

Not trying to start a pissin' match here but I believe the OP is beginning to sorta match the trend I began noticing here a LOT more
    First we come on and ask a (loaded) question acting like a complete newbie involving using materials and methods contrary to traditional.
    When OP feels that his/her intelligence/experience is in question suddenly said newbie becomes very experienced and does what they asked advice about anyways!!

Dude I can tell you right now I don't care what kind of trailer you have been pulling the one you are describing constructing will be a POS

The reason the trailers you looked at flexed is because of the shape not the material. When used correctly angle is the best material for many trailers and when turned in various directions can be extremely durable.
    Whether you like it or not your trailer is gonna flex. If you build anything out of 1" sq tube it will be flimsy. Even the side rails carry a load when attatched.
    And a 5x10 trailer can haul OVER A CORD!!!! Thats over the axle capacity you have and probably more than the floor can handle without getting all bent up.
    I would suggest you look for a good set of trailer plans and follow them closely and you will learn a lot. Pulling trailers doesn't mean you know squat about building them anymore than driving cars makes you a automaker either.
    Sorry but if you wait six months and come back and read this thread you will see that I am right...I go back and read mine and man this site has changed me for the better, and if you heed the advice of several minds instead of your own stubborn one you could improve your skills and abilities as well.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default Crappy Attitudes

I like how a guy cant even ask a question without getting negative comments back. I just wanted some opinions, which I got along with crappy attitudes. I didnt say that I am a pro builder because I pull trailers, did I? I was just answering a question. Stating what I am going to use the trailer for, and also stating that I will not pull anything too heavy. It seems that some people cannot read a thread and keep their mouths shut. Does it make you feel more secure about yourself ripping on "newbies?" Hope so.

Anyway, thanks for the input and aiding in my research. Unfortunately due to bad experiences on this forum ALREADY I will probably not be back. In the future, people should try and keep posts that do not help to themselves and maybe more people will use this forum for information.

Thank you to those of you who helped.

FusionKing, Thank you for not making me do all that typing, you have expressed my feelings exactly.

Some of the forum members may have noticed that I have been kinda slow in giving out advice to new members wanting to know how to build a trailer here lately. I have personally built more than 640 trailers and even though I don't know it all (or ever will), I think I am more than qualified to answer some basic questions with out constantly being second guessed by the OP or others who have built one or maybe two trailers in their lifetime.

I say let the "smart" people build it their way and then when it comes apart going down the highway because it was under built and loaded well over the rated capacities we let them take the responsibilities for the death and injuries to the innocent people that just happen to be traveling on the same road as the "smart" guy.

From now on I think I will only answer questions or give advice to the "stupid" people who are smart enough to ask the questions and heed the advice given by myself and the many other knowledgeable members of the several forums that I frequent.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

I am new to this site. The first thing I see when searching for boat trailer ideas are these negative posts towards someone who is asking for help. Well, you know im not asking any questions or contributing any knowledge on this site. I will stick to Hobarts forums.

theBrute,

Reference Crappy Attitudes.

Bud, from my perspective, you seem to be the one with a crappy attitude. You come on this board asking for help and reference a material list more suited for a garden cart than a 3500# over the road trailer.

You claim to posess a MM251 which will be used to fabricate the trailer. Welder is fine for the job. No one knows if the weldor is.

After reading your first post, a red flag went up. If this guy knew what he was doing, he wouldn't be considering using the materials listed. Being a newbie, you have no idea how many "wantabe welders" come on this board asking how to build trailers. Most are downright dangerous. Based on your comments, I have to put you in that category.

When told that your material selection left a lot to be desired, you spend considerable keystrokes defending your postion. Frankly, you remind me of the guy who "you don't confuse with facts, your mind's made up". Frankly, I feel Fusion King and Dabar went pretty easy on you.

I've been welding for over 50yrs and have all the equipment one would need to build any trailer I choose. Although not a "professional welder" (never derived my primary income from welding), I consider myself to be "pretty good". With all that said, if I was building a trailer from scratch (I've built several) I'd dang sure listen to the advice of a guy like Dabar39 and be dang glad I had that resource to keep me from making a "dumb" mistake.

As far as not coming back to this board, I don't think the board will suffer too greatly from your absence. You'll be the one missing out on the wealth of information available if you just took your earplugs out and listened to what was being said.

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by LucasM View Post
    I am new to this site. The first thing I see when searching for boat trailer ideas are these negative posts towards someone who is asking for help. Well, you know im not asking any questions or contributing any knowledge on this site. I will stick to Hobarts forums.

Dude....we are all over there as well

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

They'll both be back under another name. Seen it plenty of times before on other boards
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    They'll both be back under another name. Seen it plenty of times before on other boards
    Looks like they've done it here already.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by LucasM View Post
    Unfortunately due to bad experiences on this forum ALREADY I will probably not be back. In the future, people should try and keep posts that do not help to themselves and maybe more people will use this forum for information.
    dude, because you seem to interpret criticism as negativity and a bad attitude, there is nothing anyone here can do to help you anyways. based on your reactions to criticism, it sounds like you are likely to spend a lot of your lifetime being offended at people who are trying to help you.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000