Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 5 X 10 Trailer Questions

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have some questions about a trailer I am planning on building. I am going to build a 5X10 trailer. (3500lb torsion, 14" wheels, steel mesh floor) I would like this trailer to be rigid and fairly heavy duty. It is going to be used to haul everything from ATV's to heavy firewood loads. My question is about the materials I plan to use. Instead of the flimsy angle iron most are constructed of, I am thinking of using medium gauge 1" square tube. (Or 3/4") Any ideas or suggestions.

I will be using a Miller 251 Wirefeed Welder

1" square tube is great for building a mig cart but has little to no use on a 3500# trailer.

To post such a question makes me question whether you've done the homework necessary to be building this trailer. Plans are readily available from several different sources to include Northern Tools.

Dabar39 is the resident trailer expert on this board. You may want to drop him a PM.

Are your welding skills up to the task. You've already said you've got enough machine to do the job at hand.

Thumbs up Square Tubing

Sundown: Yep, for safety's sake, 2" x 3/16 square DOM is a nice size for starters.

Dave

Oh, I wrote Miller about the disparity in the TIG Calculators. Let you know when I receive a reply.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default 5X10 Trailer

I am a fairly experienced welder. I have done a lot of research. While looking at other factory built trailers made with angle, I stepped on the front corner of the trailer and the opposite back corner raised. They are flimsy to say the least. I want some rigidity. Is small square tube really that unreasonable for this project? Even if it was light in gauge. I just cannot figure out why angle is so popular for trailer building other than the convenience that it provides when using 2X boards as flooring. (Which i am not using)

Angle is cheap in price and flimizy, thats what makes it cheap! i agree with sundown, nothing less than 2x2x3/16, i wouldnt even be afraid to use 1/4" wall, for a 3500lb axle trailer you need it to be strong, also you may need brakes on a trailer with that axle, and im sure your smart enough but when you clamp the coupler on to the ball be SURE to put a pin or lock through the coupler catch, i can not beleieve how many idiots dont! it drives me nuts! if people dont care about there lives atleast care about the people driving around them....anyhow sorry for the rant! im sure others notice this also?? moral of the story? no matter how you do it make sure its SAFE!!

I just built a 14ft enclosed tandem 3500 with brakes. I followed the plans from local trailer mfg. The side runs are 2x4x.120. Floor members are
    2x2x.095 16 inch o/c. A frame hitch is 2x4x.120 and connects to several floor members and the side runs. It also has a 3rd member down the middle
    2x4x.120. It pulls great. Keep it all square.

Another good source would be

"aametalmaster"

He has fab several trailers also. He or Dabar39 are excellent sources.

Default Try channel or angle

The rolled shapes do have some weak spots in them sometimes. We have even got some 1 1/2" square tube that had splits on the radius. Stay away from the formed sheetmetal channel and angle too. I would consider some 2" x 3" or 2" x 4" channel 1/8" minumum. Some mass produced trailers use this. Really you would be much better off with 3/16". Using 1" square tube for a frame or even a cross member will come back to haunt you. 1" 14g square tube will probably be ok for sides or a top rail.

Thumbs up Load Chart !!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Head View Post
    Here is a chart I found on another site. May help you.
    Iron Head, Thanks Man; That chart will be very usefull !! .... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by thebrute View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum and I have some questions about a trailer I am planning on building. I am going to build a 5X10 trailer. (3500lb torsion, 14" wheels, steel mesh floor) I would like this trailer to be rigid and fairly heavy duty. It is going to be used to haul everything from ATV's to heavy firewood loads. My question is about the materials I plan to use. Instead of the flimsy angle iron most are constructed of, I am thinking of using medium gauge 1" square tube. (Or 3/4") Any ideas or suggestions.

I will be using a Miller 251 Wirefeed Welder
    I have a couple of questions for ya before I can help ya.

Why a torsion axle on this type of trailer?
    Are you making it a flat deck or will it have side rails.
    Any particular reason for using expanded metal (mesh) as a deck
    Will it have a tailgate or ramp gate attached to it?

The materials you have outlined for the project will be for extremely light duty use with maybe a couple hundred lbs. max payload.

Give me some more details and background of it's intended uses and I may be able to help you better.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en