Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stacked Welders

Bert, the two pound spools even fit in the drawers.

All accessories don't fit though, I don't have room for c25 and 98/2 along with the argon for the aluminum. I didn't want to make it any bigger than it already was, so I limited it to 2 tanks.

The wire rack also isn't really necessary either, but I figured since I had the space under the second feeder, I might as well clear the space off the shelf.

This is as close to naked as I have.

Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    As for serviceability - yeah, there's a design flaw with the OP's cart if you need to change rolls on the mm212 often, but I think the guy already answered for that pretty well; he's a hobbyist.

I'm an occasional-hobbyist -- it's true I don't change the rolls that often.
    The current one has been there for more than a year
    On the other hand, I do not weld enough to get good enough that
    I don't get birdsnests... Plus that's where The Chart is and I refer
    to it probably much more often than you guys who do this
    every day

Also, I like the idea of using a tool-box-riser like you did

frank

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Bert, the two pound spools even fit in the drawers.

All accessories don't fit though, I don't have room for c25 and 98/2 along with the argon for the aluminum. I didn't want to make it any bigger than it already was, so I limited it to 2 tanks.

The wire rack also isn't really necessary either, but I figured since I had the space under the second feeder, I might as well clear the space off the shelf.

This is as close to naked as I have.
    Yeah, I wouldn't want it to be bigger than that!, then it starts to become too cumbersome! Nice job on the rack, thanks for the pic

oh, btw, didn't wan't to see it more naked'er
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Cute little bottles of shielding gas shown in this thread!
    Where is thier momma??
    I mean, come on.
    When I got my mm 210 (with the spool gun)a few years ago(at work), the first thing we did is modify the cart to have 2 bottles of gas(argon and mix) and have 2 regulators.
    My hobby inverter welder, goes thru the biggest rental bottle of argon available to a welder about every 2 to 3 months.

The pics of mine are old. I've taken my reserve 152cf of argon off and replaced it with a 336. Once I burn through my 125 of c25, and 98/2, I'll probably be switching to c15 and also going to a 336 of that.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Jim, I don't think he is talking about yours, but Jogngo1's. Hey, ya gotta
    admit, they DO look kinda cute
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Fishy Jim,

I can see where you're coming from with your comments about the OP's design being OK for his use. Personally, I gotta believe the first time he reaches the end of his wand with that little mig, and gives it a little tug, the whole thing (basket and mig) will come crashing down.

Now, I gotta ask you a question. Did I miss something (gussets/diagonal bracing, etc) on that stand I see in your photo for that big ol Snap On toolbox?

Again, it's your equipment, you can use it anyway you choose, but that stand looks mighty flimsy to me. I guess I just tend to "overbuild" when it comes to stands/carts/etc that hold high dollar equipment.

I don't tend to take a lot of photos but I'll post up a couple of the last cart I built. I'm sure you'll think it's overbuilt (2"x1/8" square tube base, 2"x1/8" angle for risers, and 1 1/2" x 1/8" shelf supports). My PM 1250 is not bolted down but it does weigh over 90#, is sitting on a flat shelf with a rubber pad underneath and cannot "slide" off due to the lip formed by the shelf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jongo1,

I can appreciate what you are trying to accomplish, and while I am with SundownIII in my reservations to your first attempt, it is not bad for a 1st version. Very few of us (without years of experience) seldom get it "right" without taking a couple or runs at an idea and spending some time looking at the overall big picture.

This post is not intended to be negative. I generally like the fit and finish of what you have already created - I propose to "tweak" the idea a little to maybe better address your needs (in the long run), and to minimize, or eliminate a couple of design flaws. I may have an idea that will solve your issues, and is well within your capabilities.

Here is what I would like you to consider:

Go to the back of your machine, and have a good look at the bottle rack components. You should be able to run a vertical piece of angle iron or tubing (your choice) up the back of the machine on either side that ends 3 or 4 inches above the top of your current welder.

From these two vertical pieces, you can now attach your "shelf" to place the second welder.

This solves 2 problems:

1) Shelf is now attached directly to welder frame so it cannot "fall off", and second welder can now be properly secured.

2) Shelf is now high enough above MM212 to allow you to open door to 90 degrees so you can access wire drive components and spool of wire.

I will post up a couple of pics of a similiar arrangement on the backside of a PowerMig 350 MP that I used to mount the cable reels and 200' of #2/0 cable. For the record, my cart does not attach to the bottle mounts like I am suggesting for you, nor will your application be as large of an undertaking, or as complex as what I built, but it should show how neatly this can be done.

FYI, the reels are positioned at that height so that the wire feeder door can be swung up vertical, and I have "hands free" access to the wire drive components, spool of wire, and amphenol plugs for my Foot Pedal/Remote etc.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Sundown...man I'm diggin' those spindles It really doesn't seem all that overbuilt to me. In fact maybe a little bigger casters up front would'a been nice for gravel etc. I love the way my 350P rolls around and it is so much nicer yet without the bottle on gravel as well. 300 argons really suck lugging around esp. on rough terrain.
    But it (your cart) does sorta give me a little more insight as to your views on that guys 5x10 trailer
    If you do build ANY trailer I would LOVE to see those pics as well
    Thanks for sharing
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Some more pics of the finished product with the frame powder coated in company colours.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas on how to make your own project a little safer, and more usable.

Happy New Year, and Have a Nice Day.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.