Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RMD and Pro Pulse

I am now playing around with the Optima pendant and my XMT 350 CC/CV and I am getting some fantastic welds in both appearance and when I cut coupons out of my welds and destroy them. I can really see how higher temperatures really do break down the properties of aluminum, steel, and stainless in much the same way as the sheet metal magicians like Ron Fournier and Kent White swear by gas welding instead of arc welding when it comes to planishing and shaping through areas that have been welded. I think I'm a pulse welding convert since I can really see the benefit of keeping temperatures down.

I consequently have been really intrigued by RMD and Pro-Pulse. My LWS said I can make an appointment with one of his welding shops to play with a Pipe Pro after hours but I figure... what's the point. It's like Christmas shopping in a high end store that you can't afford. My XMT is an inverter... and the Pipe Pro is an inverter. The Optima pendant contains a circuit board that controls the process... and the Pipe Pro contains a circuit board that controls the process; just as the XMT 350 MPa or 350P contain circuit boards that control the process.

Can you guys at Miller come up with a pendant that offers RMD and Pro-Pulse so the masses can acquire the ability more affordably?

I mean...Henry Ford's revolution came about by delivering to the masses. Today, what good is Tesla Motor's car at $80,000.00?

Miller's patented RMD and Pro Pulse look great... now get it into the hands of your market... all of your market. Develop it in China if you must but make it more broadly available. How hard can it be to package the controlling elements of RMD and Pro Pulse?

Thanks for a considerate reply if someone at Miller could address it.
    Ronald Semrau

I say to heck with the China part... you can do that yourself
    Miller is getting there it's just a slow process.
    Pulse spray is a good thing but it is not something that is gonna save the world. if you do things that show it's benefits and need it then you can probably pay for it. I don't think "the masses" need pulse myself.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Will it make my HD tv and blueray player work any better?
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Perhaps I was a bit over enthusiastic with my initial experience pulse welding after welding traditionally for 14 years; but enthusiasm can go a long way if you let it. An old timer once told me, "To a man with a hammer... everything looks like a nail." I always saw no real need for Pulsed Mig as well, but I saw some Optima pendants were going for about 30% of list price on ebay and Pulsed Mig was the only setting I wasn't able to use on my XMT 350. As I said, this made me look into the videos on RMD and Pro Pulse when I saw no need for it before. Again, A little enthusiasm goes a long way.

At my old plant, tradesmen initially saw no need for plastic in a factory setting. As the price of Lexan started coming down and we started stocking more of it, the more we brought in the more we used. Pretty soon nobody wanted anything out of sheet metal anymore... it all had to be Lexan. And one guy got into solvent bonding and the neat stuff he made generated buzz throughout the plant. I guess maybe I should ask Miller to get into the heat gun / extruder business; and for an encore... how about concrete welding or asphalt welding instead of those infernal patches they throw on our roads. Now there is a business plan... come up with an amalgam like dentists use for white fillings only for concrete. Just pump a crack full of amalgam and shine a hairdryer ultraviolet light on it and your done with a bond stronger than the base concrete.

That same old timer, as soon as he saw something that he thought was priced too high would say "They have got a really high opinion of their product ... they must not want to sell too many of them."

Pulsing with the XMT 350 and the optima pendant is a good solution. The better solution for mig welding is the Invision 350 MPa where the programs are in the power source and the wire feeder is synchronized with the program. An optimized solution is the RMD program on either the Axcess which is a wire feed only machine or the Pipepro 450 RFC. Both have RMD, the pro 450 has propulse and the axcess has accupulse as well as accucurve for aluminum and stainless. Accuspeed for high travel speeds (70 ipm+) Regular pulse, spray transfer and short arc.

If you get the chance to run it, take the time. Even if it is just for the experience, you'll be amazed.

Default Thanks for the tip diamondback

I had always considered the Axcess system to be one of automation, not of the manual operator. Your tip prompted me to read up on it and, although still pricey from Miller, the sytem is much more available (and affordable) on auction sites as the original business buyers of the system get put out of business by this coming depression. Now if I can just manage to keep MY job, I might consider buying and Axcess at auction and add it to my stable of equipment. The only thing is the Axcess is a one trick pony, no tig, no stick. The PipePro does have tig and stick but no AC tig. And the PipePro seems very difficult to find at auction and less available as a used machine too. I'd bet that Miller sold much more of the Axcess system to job shops and businesses than the PipePro to pipe shops.

When spending for the bigger dollar equipment - I've always wanted to kill many birds with one stone...I love my XMT 350 CC/CV.

If ony Miller can give the XMT AC capability with the Dynasty's features for aluminum, I'd trade up right away. Or they could take a Dynasty and make it multiprocess like the XMT, whichever works out better. Then just add a teach pendant plug so you can add RMD programs and Accucurve, Pro Pulse, give it SharpArc, etc...

Thanks again for the heads up on Axcess being not just for automation.
    Last edited by t1113rs; 12-07-2008 at 06:33 AM.

I agree, when you need it nothing can touch AC TIG. There are alot of areas where Miller is trying very hard to address as much as they can in the equipment. But the cost of a machine that can do it all would be staggering, not to mention weighing a ton. Sure it's possible to put it all into one machine but none of us could afford it. So the welding equipment companies try to focus on a core set of needs and then incorporate as much as possible into the machine without pricing it out of reach.

Ive started playing with the pulse on my Dynasty while doing sch 40 stainless but could not find it to be beneficial.

I think pulse is more beneficial on much thinner material in stainess.

I havent played with it while doing alum.

For years I never had it and I did fine without it, I will however play with the pulse on alum. in the near future.

Default Hey diamondback?

In a nutshell, can you sum up the difference between say an Axcess 450 and the "Auto" Axcess 450. I'm sure the "Auto" implies the robotic welding that I always associated with the Axcess system, so is it feasible to use an "Auto" Axcess for manual welding with an Axcess Feeder or would it call for a plain old "Axcess" (minus the "Auto") with no controls at the power source and everything at the feeder?

You can do semi-automatic welding with the auto axcess. The difference is going to be the "smart gun". It allows you to change guns on the auto feeder and make adjustments from the front panel of the power source.

There aren't a lot of them out there but they work great.

You were correct, auto designates a robotic application.