Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    That's really all you need. Argon so readily displaces atmosphere that setting up a purge is not difficult at all. In fact, You don't want any kind of airtight seal as it would negate the positive pressure that a little "leaking" will provide. Lots of times I will just use a spring clamp to attach the argon hose inside a tube and then just tape around the whole thing. Blue painters tape works very well as it leaves no residue behind. Of course, that is dependent on how close you are to the seam but aluminum foil works equally as well.

If you really are then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

http://www.cob-industries.com/argweld.htm
    D@MN KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you mean!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

That's really all you need. Argon so readily displaces atmosphere that setting up a purge is not difficult at all. In fact, You don't want any kind of airtight seal as it would negate the positive pressure that a little "leaking" will provide. Lots of times I will just use a spring clamp to attach the argon hose inside a tube and then just tape around the whole thing. Blue painters tape works very well as it leaves no residue behind. Of course, that is dependent on how close you are to the seam but aluminum foil works equally as well.

If you really are then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

D@MN KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you meant!!
    I'm not late...

WOW KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you meant!!
    I'm not late...

One loaf of french bread will make about a dozen custom-fit header backpurging plugs. It's porous, non-hazardous, flame retardant, conforms to curves, leaves no glue residue, and it's dirt cheap. Another benefit is that if you have a weld where it would be difficult or impossible to remove the baffle afterward just flush the tubing with water and the bread will disintegrate and be harmlessly flushed away. Chore-Boy brand stainless scouring pads work well as dams too. Under $2 at almost any supermarket. Pads

My backpurging hose is regular inert gas line with a short piece of steel fuel line press fit onto the end. I use a Harris 356 twin regulator with two independent flowmeters (one for torch, one for purge) but some people just use a Y fitting and up their flow rate slightly to compensate for purging losses.

If you want a real backpurging dam, look at picture on the bottom left of page 40 and copy the design when you have some spare time to goof around.http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Book_Chpt4.pdf

Thumbs up "Italian Ingenuity or French Fantasia"

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    One loaf of french bread will make about a dozen custom-fit header backpurging plugs. It's porous, non-hazardous, flame retardant, conforms to curves, leaves no glue residue, and it's dirt cheap. Another benefit is that if you have a weld where it would be difficult or impossible to remove the baffle afterward just flush the tubing with water and the bread will disintegrate and be harmlessly flushed away. Chore-Boy brand stainless scouring pads work well as dams too. Under $2 at almost any supermarket. Pads

My backpurging hose is regular inert gas line with a short piece of steel fuel line press fit onto the end. I use a Harris 356 twin regulator with two independent flowmeters (one for torch, one for purge) but some people just use a Y fitting and up their flow rate slightly to compensate for purging losses.

If you want a real backpurging dam, look at picture on the bottom left of page 40 and copy the design when you have some spare time to goof around.http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Book_Chpt4.pdf
    With or without garlic and butter? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Very good idea, however!
    Last edited by davedarragh; 12-26-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

I have been using the aluminum foil and brake line for three decades. Nothing I have ever used is faster cheaper or simpler.

A note on KB's point about positive pressure, once the atmosphere is displaced, you only need enough pressure to counteract atmosphere. Since the argon is denser than the atmosphere you can get a way with 1 - 3 psig.

Quote Originally Posted by Teglove2 View Post
    Hey guys my name is Ryan and I am an aviation tig welder and fabricator of custom turbo kits on the side. I do A LOT of pipe welding and I REALLLLY need to find plugs I can use for the ends of my tubing to backpurge with and I do not have the time to make them and I know someone out there makes them. I searched and searched and couldnt find anything please help me out. Thx guys
    Ryan.

P.S. the pipe im welding is 1.25/1.5/2.0" ID
    http://www.intercononline.com/welding/mainpurg.htm
    http://files.aws.org/wj/2006/12/wj200612/wj1206-38.pdf

Out of curiosity, I googled "pipe purge dams" and got 304,000 hits. Umm.

Griff
    Last edited by griff01; 12-27-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Default mark.c

No need to purge aluminum makes no difference, I have welded pipes 100% xray without purge
    Last edited by mark.c; 02-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Default Backpurging pipe HELP GUYS

Foam from an old couch cushion works well or for tape they make that aluminum foil tape it won't burn only the glue gets a bit messy.