Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Backpurging pipe HELP GUYS

Hey guys my name is Ryan and I am an aviation tig welder and fabricator of custom turbo kits on the side. I do A LOT of pipe welding and I REALLLLY need to find plugs I can use for the ends of my tubing to backpurge with and I do not have the time to make them and I know someone out there makes them. I searched and searched and couldnt find anything please help me out. Thx guys
    Ryan.

P.S. the pipe im welding is 1.25/1.5/2.0" ID

Question SS Pipe

Teglove2: There's 3 Forum members that might be able to help you. KB Fabrication, Turbo38t, and Fusionking all work with stainless (pretty sure). If nothing else, send them a PM if you don't hear from them soon. I'm sure there are many others, but these 3 come to my mind "right off the bat."

Good Luck

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

If I don't have the right size plug I break out the masking tape and paper .

A plastic end cap off of the pipe that the manufacturer sends the pipe wth works well if the end to purge has no flange to interfere wth.Other options are purge paper,cardboard,foil or maskin tape.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    If I don't have the right size plug I break out the masking tape and paper .
    That's really all you need. Argon so readily displaces atmosphere that setting up a purge is not difficult at all. In fact, You don't want any kind of airtight seal as it would negate the positive pressure that a little "leaking" will provide. Lots of times I will just use a spring clamp to attach the argon hose inside a tube and then just tape around the whole thing. Blue painters tape works very well as it leaves no residue behind. Of course, that is dependent on how close you are to the seam but aluminum foil works equally as well.

If you really are
    Quote Originally Posted by Teglove2
    an aviation tig welder and fabricator of custom turbo kits on the side
    then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

http://www.cob-industries.com/argweld.htm
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

thx for the quick replys fellas but nothing that was said can help me...the tubing gets VERY HOT and I cannot use any sort of tape I need metal plugs with holes I saw a guy on a honda forum that builds manifolds and he had a billet plug and thats what I need but in 3 sizes like stated above. Tape is also too weak and when I put the argon line in the tape the weight of the line itself tears the tape and leaves a nasty residue thats very hard to get off.

Cut two sheet metal disks (22Ga or so) a little larger than OD of tube

Notch edge in a dozen or so places to form tabs

Bend tabs over to fit the OD of the tube

(you can also notch and bend to fit ID)

Drill hole in center of one disk for hose fitting.

Stick one over each end of the tubing (if needed, squeeze a couple of the tabs tighter to hold in place, or use a hose clamp over the tabs) and turn on the gas.

You don't need or want a tight fit... if there isn't the ability for some venting, pressure buildup will make closing up nearly impossible. If there is too much leakage, wrap (or stuff into the ends under the caps) some kaowool to cut it down.

Low flow rates fed from the bottom are better (less mixing while purging)

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    That's really all you need. Argon so readily displaces atmosphere that setting up a purge is not difficult at all. In fact, You don't want any kind of airtight seal as it would negate the positive pressure that a little "leaking" will provide. Lots of times I will just use a spring clamp to attach the argon hose inside a tube and then just tape around the whole thing. Blue painters tape works very well as it leaves no residue behind. Of course, that is dependent on how close you are to the seam but aluminum foil works equally as well.

If you really are then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

D@MN KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you mean!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

If you really are then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

D@MN KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you meant!!
    I'm not late...

WOW KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you meant!!
    I'm not late...