Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

it may be unothodox but i found welding vertical to be a big help in getting the hang of controling the puddle. when it was flat on the work bench the puddly just kida sits there and can burn threw befor you notise. as soon as i got tired of playing with lil squares and atempted my cart project i lerned a lot more. you realy need to keep the puddle under controle when moving acrost the side of the aluminum insted of going flat. you lern to use the torch to pull the puddle where you need it, not just get it wet and add to it. kinda hard to explain but you should try a few vertical welds. just to see how the puddle can be pulled by the torch to get it to stay where you need it. it may not help you as much as it did me but it cirtenly cant hurt any. i think you will find it verry helpfull. you kind of have to use the torch like a magnet to pull the puddle, hard to explain but you will see it when you try it.
    4Hrs with some one that knows what they are doing will be a big help. in the mean time try the vert. thing just for fun see if its any help. you have to get hot fast and controle it at the same time. your amps need to be high enough to melt threw fast when full on.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Smile

Archaic,

For three hours on the machine, those are great looking welds. You're well on the way. For the 1/8" material, I prefer a 3/32 tungsten and 3/32 filler.

For your starts, try starting 1/4" or so into the material, then back up to the edge, dip, and go from there. If you initially try to start the puddle at the edge, you'll overheat the edge of the material.

Don't be so concerned about the "stack of dimes" at this point. That will come as you get more comfortable with dipping the rod and cooling the weld. Actually the bead you laid down is as strong or stronger than the ripples some feel they must use. In some cases, where exaggerated, the ripples (stack of dimes) can be a source of cracks.

As you know from your O/A days, it's all about puddle control. As you gain experience, it will all become reflex. Bet you didn't learn to gas weld in three hours either.

As mentioned before, learning will be easier on flat plate (butt welds) rather than on joints.

You're off to a great start. Be patient. You'll be there before you know it.