Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windmill

Default Windmill

Ok well today we had to pull our 220 foot deep well for about the fourth time in a few years and were finally thinkin about building about a 25 foot tall windmill to put over the top of it and a winch mounted to it so we can make it easier than inching along with a come along . Weve had about every emaginable problem with wells because this is about our third because of bad water and the pumps go out often also because of hard water. Im wanting to of course make one out of angle iron or square tubing but my dad is concerned about having to paint it and maintain it. He suggested making one out of wood then having a metal platform on the side to access everything while pulling the well. I was wondering for design ideas or pictures and ideas on if theres a type of paint that stays on extremely well in the weather. thanks

p.s. Heres a pic of our redneck knowhow setup. This is actually a stand we made a while back for a fuel tank on its side
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by weld_13; 07-21-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    welding...its awsome

yeesh, what a bummer! sorry you have to go through that! Looks like there is a good-size new subdivision in the background (I see a lot of rooftops). You don't have the salt air problem we have here, how's the humidity? If not bad, I think the metal would last longer than the wood, long as you keep up with good primer and paint, which you would have to with wood anyway...
    good luck!
    oh, btw, if...we get over 20 responses that says your 6011 welds in flat position are better than mine, I'll buy you 5lbs of rods for the next challenge.
    ok with that?!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

flat...being inside corner weld
    I'm not late...

Humidity is ok. Were in oklahoma though.
    welding...its awsome

Anybody else have an opinion about wood vs metal for the windmill?
    Wood might be a lot cheaper, though I think metal would last longer...
    Not in that part of the states, so there might be other factors to consider...
    I'm not late...

do you have a four wheeler? last time i had to pull the pump out of my well i used a four wheeler and had my brother guide it out by hand. it was a whole lot easier than trying to use a come along
    hh 187.:
    powcon 300 st
    cheap chinese plasma cutter
    miller diversion :

yeh got 2 of em but only one is made for pullin. How did you have it set up? Snatch blocks? We have a tractor too we would have used on a strait loop but the drain plug literally shot out of the engine while i was usin the brush hog and im still chasin one down for it.
    welding...its awsome

If you guys need it, I can get you in touch with some top notch wells guys here on the east side of the city. They are a third generation drilling family. If it needs to be done right in Oklahoma, these guys are the ones to call. They have drilled every well I've ever needed. They also do anode drilling for the oil field, but I don't see any tanks on your land there

SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 07-22-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
    Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Well when we moved here there was alot of oil well stuff around but we cleaned some of it up and had some of it cleaned up. There is also alot of natural gas lines on our property too. Well the reason we were pullin it ourselves it because of the cost to have it pulled and weve done it so many times by now we got it down pat just need a better setup. Its sad when you have pulled your well so many times that when you do it again you mow a path back to the house. We did it with some pieces of 2x6 this time with a notch halfway through just slightly bigger opening than the od of the pipe so you could pull up a section and the section of pipe would rest on it and when we had to stop at an off joint we used hose clamps around it to hold it. We need somethen about 25' tall too pull it faster when we need to since its in 20' sections of pipe and wanted it to look like it belonged their so a windmill was our choice but i still wanna make it all out of metal.hehe
    welding...its awsome

did you ever GIT-R-Done ?

Inferno Forge

Chris