Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Finally finished

I started this project for a friend who is a coach at a 1A high school at the end of September. Spent most of October travelling and couldn't get on it much. Had a friend help out and drill the almost 6,000 holes. I think we used 3-4 3/16" bits for piloting and only 1 11/16" hole cutter to get them to size. Spent another eternity painting them (next time I will insist on powdercoat). The upholstery classes I took in high school came in handy on the benches. Delivered and set up everything in 1/2day. Picked up some additional work for next year as his budget allows. Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work, thanks for sharing. I bet that kept you busy for a few nights at least
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Very good work.

Default "Drill, baby, drill"

Very nice work! I bet your friend won't look at a drill press for a while!

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

just outta curiosity, whats the deal with the 43 different height adjustments per each rack? I checked my gym tonight after i read this and there are only 7 per each side? Is it specialized for something? I'm just wondering cause i've never seen so many holes on a squat rack or smith machine or whatever it is?

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Very nice work! I bet your friend won't look at a drill press for a while!

Dave
    It took him 7 minutes to drill the pilot holes using a jig and an additional 7 minutes per side with the hole cutter. Total time including changing the bits, clamping the jig etc, each piece took 24 minutes. Of course there was 48 pieces. . .

Thumbs up Very Impressive!

That is quite an accomplishment.

Very nicely done.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Looks good. Give the powder coat a try. You won't be disappointed
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Seneca the Younger

I am a competitive powerlifter, as is the coach who ordered these racks. One of the methods we use to get stronger is focusing on where we are weak at. For example, on the deadlift, a person may be able to get 700+ lbs. off the floor but stalls at the knees. One exercise to work on this would be to set the pins at knee level and set the bar on them and work the top end of the movement. The spacing at the top and Bottom is 2" center to center and the middle area is 1". The tight spacing allows precise height adjustment. When I tracel and have to train at a commercial gym that has minimal adjustments, I am either doing a 1/4 squat or a calf raise to get it out of the racks. Not much fun when playing with the heavy weights. Kind of like comparing an off brand welder to a Miller, They both will work to do the job but the Miller will do a much better job.