Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 71
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    1,790

    Default

    I agree with Bert, it's looking a lot better.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

    Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    Exemption (from Florida Statutes)

    (c) Regular full-time employees of a corporation not engaged in the practice of engineering as such, whose practice of engineering for such corporation is limited to the design or fabrication of manufactured products and servicing of such products.

    That's the closest exemption you get. Most states specifically exempt the manufacturing industry from requiring a PE license, but note that the Florida statute specifically says CORPORATION. In other words, the little guys do not enjoy this exemption unless they incorporate.

    Ironically, they also exclude defense and aerospace designers from requiring a PE.

    Funny. The sole proprietor who advertises that he designs custom necktie racks is required to have a professional engineering license but the guy designing a critical steering component for a production automobile doesn't need to.

    I guess that's why automobiles kill over 40,000 people a year and necktie racks kill too few to hear about. Or maybe it's a statement about the relative lobbying power of the automotive, defense, and aerospace industries versus that of your average small business.
    You need a PE to design a Decorative railing, fence or gate?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,844

    Default

    Here is my take on the home page copy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Here is my take on the home page copy
    DD@@@@MMMMMNNNNNNNNNN Broccoli!!!!! that's GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Raymore Missouri
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    I have pulled up the site and I don't see all what you guys are talking about.
    I can get to different pages but get no real info or prices etc. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But if I have this trouble on a site, I'll just go on. Since I don't see much, I really can't comment well. One thing......the small pictures to me are worthless....too small.....all I see is something bright and colors.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    1,790

    Default

    Nick, he's made a lot of changes since the thread was started.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

    Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    189

    Default

    A bucket of free advice has been given out. A consultant would charge at least $400 to critique it then another $600 to make changes- I have and would have.

    Haven't looked at it cuz I rarely give away that kind of thinking for free.

    Good luck with the site- it's very important to make a great first impression with a web presence. Oops that was a freebie.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    You need a PE to design a Decorative railing, fence or gate?

    Mr. Broccoli 1,

    I can't tell via the written word if you were being facetious, or really asking. But here goes anyway.

    The rules regarding a PE are state dependent, the exception being work for the federal govt. on federal property.

    And these are just rule of thumb type, general overviews, and only my take based on working with PE's in several states so take it for what it's worth.

    Leaving out fields like pressure vessels and outside piping systems, the PE stamp requirements generally applies to construction or building maintenance/modification. And generally, if the work requires a permit, it requires PE stamped drawings. It gets a lot more complicated than that of course.

    If it's civil, or structural steel construction/modification, it's a pretty sure bet in any state a PE stamp is required.

    People pretty regularly want us to design things that call for a stamped drawing, they do that because it saves them a ton of money. We don't do it of course because the liability is immense and my policy doesn't cover me for doing illegal design work.

    People who legitimately do that type of work, will go out of their way to see the cheaters punished.



    JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    A bucket of free advice has been given out. A consultant would charge at least $400 to critique it then another $600 to make changes- I have and would have.

    Haven't looked at it cuz I rarely give away that kind of thinking for free.

    Good luck with the site- it's very important to make a great first impression with a web presence. Oops that was a freebie.
    Johnny

    I'm extremely glad that you are a top-notch web-designer Others such as
    you I'm sure won't give free tips also, along with some weldors that took a lot of years learning the trade won't help, that's why they don't participate in this forum. However, some want to help a guy out, such as Broccoli1 with the web design and SundownIII and FusionKing with welding...

    ....No need to show how good you are
    Last edited by Bert; 12-27-2008 at 08:48 PM.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Mr. Broccoli 1,

    I can't tell via the written word if you were being facetious, or really asking. But here goes anyway.

    The rules regarding a PE are state dependent, the exception being work for the federal govt. on federal property.

    And these are just rule of thumb type, general overviews, and only my take based on working with PE's in several states so take it for what it's worth.

    Leaving out fields like pressure vessels and outside piping systems, the PE stamp requirements generally applies to construction or building maintenance/modification. And generally, if the work requires a permit, it requires PE stamped drawings. It gets a lot more complicated than that of course.

    If it's civil, or structural steel construction/modification, it's a pretty sure bet in any state a PE stamp is required.

    People pretty regularly want us to design things that call for a stamped drawing, they do that because it saves them a ton of money. We don't do it of course because the liability is immense and my policy doesn't cover me for doing illegal design work.

    People who legitimately do that type of work, will go out of their way to see the cheaters punished.



    JTMcC.
    JTMcC and others:

    I understand what you mean about Broccoli. I thought at times he was a little facetious at times also, but when you read all his posts, he really DOES mean well. I like to think of some of his posts as a "dry sense of humor"
    not that it's bad, as I have a lot of friends that have the same humor. There HAVE been replies on questions that WERE sarcastic, only because the OP did not do ANY kind of homework or search on the subject, so some of the more experienced guys say it's beating a dead horse.....

    On what you commented on of what he asked, that was a legitimate question, as I thought the same thing. Apparently in Hawaii, I found out a lot of railings doesn't not need an engineer stamp (exception to high-rises and such) or else lot of the small business owners would be in trouble.

    Kudos to you to give a more detailed explanation

    I just want to remind everyone, that this is like e-mail. We don't hear the person's voice/inflections whether he/she is sarcastic or not. I'd like to think of the more positive note and take their comments as positive.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.