Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using an "anti-zap" device on cars while welding

New poster here, and very glad to be here.

Planning on repairing/replacing sections of my bed floor in my 2000 Toyota Tundra truck this spring. I've tiged on cars before, but never with modern electronics like ECUs or even stereos. I thought I would have to unplug certain electronics and disconnect the battery. But I found this product in the MAC Tools catalog.

http://www.mactools.com/SearchResult...?Search=et20az

Called an " Anti-Zap service minder". Its suppose to protect the car from voltage spikes and surges.

So has anyone seen or heard of this type of device? Has anyone used one? Or am I better off just disconnecting everything every night.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forum.

I have never used this particular device but I do have a similar device on the main panel of my electric service in my house. It is made by wire mold. Mac is a well known tool company. I would bet that it would work fine.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

turbo38t Guest

I have heard the argument of damage to equipment all the time, but NEVER seen a result of it. I weld on stuff all the time, whether it be a crane or drill rig, to my last Audi S4.....they recommend diconnecting the computer from the car(not the battery so much) but I've never had a prob, even with the sensitive German electronics. Keep your ground close and you should be fine. Do this at your own risk though as I am just speaking from my personal experience. I have never disconnected anything and NEVER had a problem. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post

Planning on repairing/replacing sections of my bed floor in my 2000 Toyota Tundra truck this spring. I've tiged on cars before, but never with modern electronics like ECUs or even stereos. I thought I would have to unplug certain electronics and disconnect the battery. But I found this product in the MAC Tools catalog.

Called an " Anti-Zap service minder". Its suppose to protect the car from voltage spikes and surges.

So has anyone seen or heard of this type of device? Has anyone used one? Or am I better off just disconnecting everything every night.

Thank you for your time.

Thumbs up Automotive Surge Protector !!

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post

Thank you for your time.
    Weaver, Hello & Welcome; Yes I have a surge protector that I use everytime
    I weld on a customers vehicle !!
    I t Works Great , and I've never had a Problem !!

...... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Thumbs up Surge Protector

Hey Norm: Where'd you get yours? I'd like to buy one.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Thumbs up Surge Protector :

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Hey Norm: Where'd you get yours? I'd like to buy one.

Dave
    Dave, I bought mine at U.A.P. here in Delhi, around $40.00, I think ?
    ...... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default Mac tools "anti-zap"

I OWN ONE OF THESE ITEMS AND HAVE used it several times on my 2005 dodge ram 2500 common rail diesel and I haven't had any computer related problem's. So i would say that it works

"If you can't mig or tig it then just stick it"
    2001 millermatic 210 with spoolgun
    2004 miller econotig
    2007 Hypertherm pmax 600
    2002 trailblazer 301g

Quote Originally Posted by BartsArcs View Post
    I OWN ONE OF THESE ITEMS AND HAVE used it several times on my 2005 dodge ram 2500 common rail diesel and I haven't had any computer related problem's. So i would say that it works

I don't own one of these things, or know anyone that does, and I've struck several thousand arcs (building welding beds) on '05 and later common rail Cummins/Dodges. I know several thousand other guys that have done the same, plus Fords & Chebbys. (I belong to a very large group of pipeline welders). No computer problems.
    The equipment mechanics I work around are welding on the back of their (late model) service trucks all the time, so I'm guessing you're pretty safe on Peterbilts and IH's and KW's too.

You really can't prove a negative, I can wear a tin foil beanie for a year, and if I'm not bit by a snake during that time, my experiment doesn't show that foil beanies prevent snake bites

I've never disconnected anything on car or truck before welding, I've yet to damage any electrical components. If anything, I believe disconnecting the battery will hurt before it will help. But if you place your ground like an adult, you'll have no problems in my opinion.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I totally agree!!!
    And going just by that how would you even know if that thing was working.
    Just how is it supposed to work anyways?
    I have been in an automotive and marine enviroment my whole welding career doing exhaust and hitches on car and trucks as well as thousands of boat welding projects and NEVER blew a single component.
    Does it say to you it saved your but like a virus protection package?
    "Your computer has been protected from a surge"
    Now maybe if someone here on the forum intentially does something stupid to try and blow their computer while using this device and it works...then I'll be impressed. If Miller sold one I might be swayed as well. I'm not much of a Mac man either but I own a bunch of Snap-On stuff.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Welded on hundreds, maybe more of cars/trucks, never had a problem. Like the man says, welds on the bed of his truck daily.