Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Snap-on service varies dramatically by the local franchisee driving the truck.

The world is full of welding machines. NO WAY I want to depend on Snap-on to support anything but hand tools in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by 1930case View Post
    Snap-on service varies dramatically by the local franchisee driving the truck.

The world is full of welding machines. NO WAY I want to depend on Snap-on to support anything but hand tools in my area.
    Agreed. I'd never go to my LWS to buy a tool box either.

Default Snap On

The best thing about my Snap On welder (Systematics) is that whenever it had a problem, I simply called Systematics and they walked and talked me through finding the problem. Several times the repair didn't cost me any parts and the few times it actually did.....the parts were in my hand the next morning....and not at a rip off price. I can't say the same for the Blue welder (Miller) with the expensive board that never got repaired due to cost. It cost me $125 to find out it wasn't worth repair. The Hobart ate up diodes on a steady basis, and the drive motor lasted about two years at best each time.

New guy here just reading through the threads. I have owned both a Snap On ya 212 and a Miller 251. While the Snappy wont hang with the 251 it will certianly out perform the 211. The 212 is made by CK Systymatics which is good most Snap On welders are made buy Century and are junk. I currently know three people who have had them for years with very few problems. New I would buy the a Miller but for 5 or 600 cant beat a used ya212.

Quote Originally Posted by barnumb View Post
    While the Snappy wont hang with the 251 it will certianly out perform the 211.
    Duty cycle or quality of weld?
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Snap On YA212 is 60% at 230, Miller 211 is 30% at 150. Not even close.

See, snappy isn't giving a voltage at a rated amp. Instead they are saying
    Nema @ 60% @ 200 amps. Now at 200 amps, that unit draws around the 32 amp mark on 230Vac. They say the draw is 20 amp at 185 amp on 230. and its some what more than that actually, but even if that were true, thats a 12 amp input draw with a mere 15 amps of output.

They are upping their facts and figures favorably

Have I worked on them and welded with them, yes, and they are found mostly in autobody shops and garages. welds ok, I wouldn't think of using it for structural fabrication though, strickly, ornamental, and body panels only.

Better off comparing this unit to a Miller 210, or 200.

Parts are next to impossible to get, guns are horrible, and alot of redundant circuitry makes this unit a real treat to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by barnumb View Post
    Snap On YA212 is 60% at 230, Miller 211 is 30% at 150. Not even close.
    So I ask again....Duty cycle or quality of weld? (Hint: pick one)
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    So I ask again....Duty cycle or quality of weld? (Hint: pick one)
    My post would have been related to duty cycle. I have not used a 211 (I own a 251) but I can tell you the YA212 will lay a fine looking bead on 3/8 material no problem.

That said I would buy a Miller over a Snap On any day. On the other hand If you can buy a Snap On YA212 for five or six hunderd it will serve you fine.

Thats all I got for you Doughboy.

(Hint: dont buy all the stuff you read on internet forums.)

"The trouble with information on the internet is it's hard to determine if it's accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    See, snappy isn't giving a voltage at a rated amp. Instead they are saying
    Nema @ 60% @ 200 amps. Now at 200 amps, that unit draws around the 32 amp mark on 230Vac. They say the draw is 20 amp at 185 amp on 230. and its some what more than that actually, but even if that were true, thats a 12 amp input draw with a mere 15 amps of output.

They are upping their facts and figures favorably

Have I worked on them and welded with them, yes, and they are found mostly in autobody shops and garages. welds ok, I wouldn't think of using it for structural fabrication though, strickly, ornamental, and body panels only.

Better off comparing this unit to a Miller 210, or 200.

Parts are next to impossible to get, guns are horrible, and alot of redundant circuitry makes this unit a real treat to repair.
    Parts are easy to get for the YA 212 Call Snap On or CK Systemnatics and order them. Just bought a new whip and spool gun a week ago.

The one i bought 20 years ago has built numerous trailers and fixed countless peices of farm and construction equipment (including fabing a backhoe boom heavy part not sheet metal) I have yet to have a part I welded with it fail.