Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default never, never, never.. nope not me..

My brother-in-law has a small 110v Snap-on welder. NIGHT MARE from day one.

In a nutshell consumables are tough to get...apparently there were 3 mfgs of this model and all are not created equal to to find contact tips even is a pain.

I do countersales at a company and we also sell welding supplies. People come in with HF and other discount welders or in this case off brand welders and cna not find repair parts or as I said even consumable with out just "making do".

Stay with a name brand and in the long run life will be much happier.
    ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!

snapon welders are made by CK Systematics in pennsylvania. I have used a 20 year old model that works pretty well. Once the unit needed relays which took about a month to get. A used snapon plasma cutter I was considering buying was made by century. Century doesnt make them anymore so parts are hard to come by. The current Snap on Muscle Mig that is available only welds up to 1/4 inch thickness. A miller or lincoln or hobart welder parts and service are readily available even on twenty year old machines. I would stick with one of the big three welders.
    Last edited by mikek3; 07-20-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo

thanks everyone for the replies. i found this snap on for sale its a 230 amp model they are asking 550.00 for was thinking about getting it but it sounds like they are not that well liked.
    hh 187.:
    powcon 300 st
    cheap chinese plasma cutter
    miller diversion :

Hey Ya'll did you know Lincoln owns Century welders and befoer Lincoln got 'em thet was Hobarts
    Last edited by mwccwi; 07-20-2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added history
    Martin
    Welding Technician
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector
    AWS Certified Welding Educator
    ASNT ACCP Level II VT/GI/D
    www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-cramer/20/b36/940/

I have used the Snap-on welder and it was not a very good experience. I'm no professional welder or anything like that, but I can weld a hundred times better on my HH140 than I can on that P.O.S. Snap-on 200 Amp welder.

Also one of my friends is a Mac distributer and I was looking at the 140 amp mig on his truck that he was delivering to a customer the next day. And it looked exactly like my HH140, but with a red paint job. Is it possible that they rebadged the hobart welder for Mac's?

Quote Originally Posted by All-about-design View Post
    My brother-in-law has a small 110v Snap-on welder. NIGHT MARE from day one.

In a nutshell consumables are tough to get...apparently there were 3 mfgs of this model and all are not created equal to to find contact tips even is a pain.

I do countersales at a company and we also sell welding supplies. People come in with HF and other discount welders or in this case off brand welders and cna not find repair parts or as I said even consumable with out just "making do".

Stay with a name brand and in the long run life will be much happier.
    One of my coworkers has a Snap-on Plasma Cutter and he cautioned me not to get one because it's so hard to find consumables and when you do find them you pay out the wazoo.

Default Ya-212a

i own a snap-on YA-212A and love my machine and all the research i have done on it says that machine was built by miller and i did alot of research befor buying it.... ive had my machine for over 2 years with no problems

I've had one for 15 years, changed the ground clamp to a larger one, cleaned terminals, welded with out one failure! knock on wood! Even figured out the tig set up, but don't care for a scratch start. I paid 600$ for it, it has a Tweco gun and I found tips for century were longer, being cheap I bought them and added a washer/spacer to the nozzle. No problems with sticking wire, proper cleaning and the use of nozzle gel, well I go years before burning up a tip. my vote look it over good, if it's been kept dry and used properly it should make you very happy you have it. tt
    btw just bought a late 90's Syncrowave 250 today.

we had one at the semi truck repair shop i worked at....needless to say I stick'd everything. I could never get it set up right, and the whole wire feeding mech was kinda shoddy. I dont know if ours was just wore out, but I could never get a 10 pounder to stay on the thing without it unravelling all over. And I agree on the price. If you can get one used for cheap, it might be a decent investment....it could however, turn into that, an investment. We bought parts off the Snap-on truck, and they were just as pricey as the rest of their tools (I complain, but i got 20+ grand worth of their stuff in my garage)

I bought a little Mac tools MW140plus, its a great little unit because it is a re-badged Millermatic 140. I would never have bought it because the list is almost three times as much as a Miller, but it was a special order that some guy backed out on and he gave it to me at cost which was cheaper than the Miller. I should just paint it blue and order miller decals. So they don't all use and re-brand the cheapest systems. Unless Miller is cheap and crappy lol.