Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question snapon ya212a mig welder

looking for info on a snapon ya212a mig welder. are they worth a darn or not? any help would be appreciated.
    hh 187.:
    powcon 300 st
    cheap chinese plasma cutter
    miller diversion :

I think the snap ons are made by century, you would be better off buying a miller, hobart, or lincoln.
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Snap-On welding equipment is NOT made by Snap-On, and are from generic companies. They cost far more than they are worth because of the label.

Lincolns, Hobarts, Millers are far superior machines and will save you money as well, unless someone is practically giving away a Snap-On, in which case, you just have to remember to treat it like a Dayton, or Century, or other generic brand.

centurys are good but you are better off buying it direct from them or getting a name brand
    welding...its awsome

I have two friends that own snap-on welders, although I don't know what models they have I do know they are out of service more than they are in service. They both own auto body repair shops and only use them for light gauge materials. Now I don't know if the welders are poor quality or if it's because of all the bondo dust and paint overspray that gets into them.
    I personally can't say if snap-on welders are good or bad, just that I have lent them my Miller on occasion. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Cool

I wouldn't trade my MM185 for 5 new snap on welders...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

you get what you pay for
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Snap-On (and Mac) buy the cheapest imported welders they can find, slap their name on them and inflate the price by 500%. They mainly sell the machines to body shops. Probably OK for light use, but not up to the task for fabrication work on anything over 1/4".

The tool companies are selling their name. Some guys will buy their welders because they already have a credit account with the tool truck guy. By the time you add interest to the inflated price, you could probably buy TWO Miller machines with similar specs, or ONE big machine that will actually get the job done and last forever.

Another thing to consider is parts/service. My Mac man toted a plasma cutter around on his truck for over two years. The first guy he sold it to decided it was too small and got a refund. Next buyer fries the machine, off the the service center for 4 months. Machine is sold two more times, both buyers unhappy with performance. The tool man tried repeatedly to sell me the unit, each time the price dropped several hundred dollars. His wife ended up selling it at her garage sale.

I own a year's salary worth of Snap-On hand tools, I wouldn't buy one of their welders at any price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    you get what you pay for
    Not in this case.. You pay at least 3x more for a new POS welder (snap on, mac, matco) and get MUCH less quality and performance than a Miller or Lincoln...

Get a Miller, Lincoln, Or a Hobart

Inferno Forge

Chris