Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Supertanium fasteners have been around forever. In the smaller sizes they are 200ksi. I havent laid eyes on one for several years but I'm sure they are still available.
    They are pretty common in maintenance departments of plants. The military used to buy a ton of them too.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

AN is only available in fine thread. Grade 8 comes in coarse and fine.
    -Just something to think about.

Default Cap Screws

Hi Guys!
    I think this is my first post but I read most of the comments. The reading is very interesting. Thanks to all you contributors!
    My Premier Fastener Handbook shows the following:
    SAE Grade 5 - three lines - 120,000 psi
    SAE Grade 8 - six lines - 150,000 psi
    Supertanium - special symbol - 160,000 psi
    The psi is tensile strength and shear strength is about 60% of the tensile strength.
    If you have a Machinery Handbook or similar reference it will have a section on fasteners but when you exceed grade 8 the data is usually from the manufacturer.
    Happy Holidays!

I would reference the AC43.13 manual for what the standards are (an,ms etc). Carol Smith has this book which i found useful ]

http://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-Plum...9710031&sr=1-1
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Is there a stronger bolt I can use better than a grade 8? What does"AN" desigination mean?
    Ok, Im new to this forum so be gentle...

I was looking over this post and saw that no one had mentioned F911 bolts that have ratings up to 180,000 psi. I use F911's in off road applications such as suspension pivot points for a-arms, trailing arms, ect. Normally you can only find these at a "bolt specific" store meaning your local home depot does not carry them. In addition, F911 nuts are only available in pinch nuts not nylocks but you can you grade 8 nylock nuts on them.

If I had a nickle for every time I said "someone once told me"... I would be a rich man. Also consider fine thread grade 8's vs course thread for the side loading strength. Course threads take out up to 25% of the girth on a 1/2" bolt because of the deeper cuts for the treads.

As for AN... I use them but mostly for hydraulics and fuel lines. I have always known them as Army-Navy (someone else told me that also).

Below is a link about F911 bolts. Thanks for the original post because I just found a new place to buy F911's...

http://www.bolts4u.com/f911hm.htm

and

http://www.ababaqa.com/

Some good reading
    http://www.boltscience.com/pages/basics1.htm
    Higher grade is not always better.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.