Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Are there stronger bolts?

Is there a stronger bolt I can use better than a grade 8? What does"AN" desigination mean?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Nick, we use a Grade 9 at work. The only trouble is, the grade 9 is more brittle than the grade 8 and it will break quicker, however the grade 9 does have more holding stength.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

KBar........thanks for the comeback. How are they stronger? Shear load or enlongation(sp)or both............Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    KBar........thanks for the comeback. How are they stronger? Shear load or enlongation(sp)or both............Nick
    I actually prefer the grade 8 over the grade 9 because of the shear strength, the grade 9 will snap quick with a sharp impact or sizable load against it. But because of technical & liability issues, we need to use the grade 9.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

FWIW, if you have trouble with bulk bin grade 8 bolts, take a trip to your local CAT dealer. They are known for quality fasteners.
    Jeff

I am curious to know what hte application is. Generally if a grade 8 bolt can't handle the stress you need either more of them or a bigger diameter bolt.

AN is only available in fine thread. Grade 8 comes in coarse and fine.
    -Just something to think about.

Default Cap Screws

Hi Guys!
    I think this is my first post but I read most of the comments. The reading is very interesting. Thanks to all you contributors!
    My Premier Fastener Handbook shows the following:
    SAE Grade 5 - three lines - 120,000 psi
    SAE Grade 8 - six lines - 150,000 psi
    Supertanium - special symbol - 160,000 psi
    The psi is tensile strength and shear strength is about 60% of the tensile strength.
    If you have a Machinery Handbook or similar reference it will have a section on fasteners but when you exceed grade 8 the data is usually from the manufacturer.
    Happy Holidays!

I would reference the AC43.13 manual for what the standards are (an,ms etc). Carol Smith has this book which i found useful ]

http://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-Plum...9710031&sr=1-1
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I always heard that "AN" meant Army-navy... which is a standardized style of hardware and fittings.

Also I have seen and have used Grade 9 hardware. Typically its only in a clamping situation as Grade 8 works great in shear and in tension. Keep in mind the strength and hardness of the hardware vs. the hardness of the material you are bonding. What will fail first? Is that catastophic failure? In high fatigue areas you often want your hardware to have similar properties as your clamped materials. Unless the hardware is only acting as a friction causing clamping force.

Also grade B7 has a fairly high yeild value but with more of an elastic range than that of the typical Grade 8 hardware...

Its more in the application of the hardware than in the actual strength of the hardware. You'd be amazed at what you can put Grade 5 and 8 through if you spec it properly.