Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Syncrowave 200 maybe...

I have access to a whole array of fabrication equipment in the facility that I work. That said I have minimal experience in tig welding. Most of what is done where I work is tig.

In the past I have done is stick, O/A and some wire feed. I have been designing mostly signage and a friend has been doing the fab work for me. It is now time to dive back in a little deeper so can get that fun part of stuff. I am wanting to spend more time with a tig torch in hand since most of my work tends to lean toward functional art pieces. And at this point I have no pics to show of previous designs other than a couple of signs...computer crashes...gotta love em...

Not wanting to have to do all of my hobby work in the shop at work I was thinking a nice tig package at home would be great. I was leaning toward the Syncrowave 200 and it seemed a good bargain for the price and function. Someone also suggested a Lincoln Precision TIG 225. I am more of a Miller guy because that is what I have always used/had access to.

What does anyone know about either of these two machines and what are the opinions of specifically the Sync 200?

All help and info would be appreciated.
    ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!

first thing to consider befor getting eather is can you provide a 60amp service for it??
    the new syncro200 is a defenet step up from the old 180 with some realy nice extra features to help out the beginner and still be a well equiped unit for the pro. it would most likely outlast you and your kid's. all the reports from the new syncro200 owners have been great. i would not hesitate to have one, and would if i could have powerd it.
    its an excelent choice.i realy liked the auto ajust gas post flow to save gas, and the fact you can over-ride it for SS or any other reason you may see the need to do so.TIG will just suck up the gas compared to MIG and its even worse when lerning. with O/A in your backgrouond TIG should be a quick lern.

red VS blue is prity much ford VS chevy thing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I ran my 250DX on a 60A breaker and haven't tripped it with a 300A arc (which gets really freaking hot to work next to).

Just today, I was welding with 150A on a 30A breaker and didn't trip that either. I have an old pushmatic main panel and only have a 30A breaker available even though the sub panel is wired with 6-3. I should have a new breaker coming today cause the Mrs' uncle says he has some spares.

I won't have a proper welder circuit in the addition for a couple months yet, but that hasn't stopped me from fusing metal. Don't let the spec sheet scare you away from a good machine. Fuse the circuit for the wire in the wall, and you will have no problems other than MAYBE a tripped breaker if you get too carried away. In reality, the duty cycle you're talking about is well under what the papers say the machine needs. Those specs are written by lawyers.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

As an FYI, breakers are rated at an 80% duty cycle....
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

I have a Syncro 200 and I really like it. Works great. Does everything I've thrown at it without complaint.

I was weighing the PT 225 against the Syncro 200 when trying to decide what to buy, but I liked the features of the Miller a little better, plus my LWS is a Miller dealer and I would have had to go to Jersey for the Lincoln.

Here are some comparison charts that I thought were helpful when I was shopping for a machine:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...owave_200.html

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ture/e3372.pdf

If you have any particular questions about the syncro 200, I'd be happy to try to answer as best I can.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Hi Ed,
    I was about to buy the Sync 200, 'cause of the price, and I haven't heard one complaint yet, 'cept everyone is very happy with it. 2 things that changed my mind, was I want to start working with a lot of aluminum for artwork and I was told the balance a lot of people use isn't even in the range of the Sync 200. That along with pulse TIG, I REALLY like pulse!, I figured I'd hold off and buy the Dynasty 200DX instead...I didn't want to outgrow the Sync 200 too soon...
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Sync 200 has built in pulser.

I'm of the opinion that any machine is better than no machine. If you outgrow one, you can always sell it and upgrade at that time. If you've ever looked at the used prices of welders, you know you won't be losing much in that transaction. That additional grand also buys you 10 less volts at the arc, and even KB says that's not good when doing steel.

If you do steel, the hotter arc of a transformer is the way to go. You get more wattage in the puddle that way. DC doesn't care what's driving the arc.

Now if all you do is AL, then I'd go with an inverter. The wave shaping is worth the price of admission, but you need a lot of work to make it pay off.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default Thanks so much

Thanks for the feedback that everyone is providing.

I really liked the fact that this machine was ac/dc and pulsed so I would be able to weld basically any material I wanted..basically...and that flexibily is one reason I leaned toward the tig set up...and the control that you can get on your weld with practice...but that is a whole different game.

The one thing that was mentioned and I REALLY appreciate...because I didn't even think about it was the power source the machine needed. How could I have let that one escape me..

Aluminum was mentioned and I will probably do some here and there but basically thinner stock...with this setup about how thick would be max. It seems aluminum really sucks up the current/heat when welding from the little I have done so far. I know tig is not basically rated per thickness but none the less there would seem to be some averages that people have seen/experienced.

Thanks again!
    ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!