Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Best welder for.......

I am looking for a good economy tig machine to weld together mini sprint chassis with. I am not looking to spend a lot of money and would like any tips and helpful hints. I am looking at the econotig series. The question I have is can I buy longer leads for the machine? If so, where can I buy them from???

Zeb

You should be looking at the Diversion 165 or Sync 200. Both far better than the econotig
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

For the record, I have not tried it yet but the new Diversion 165 looks like your best call. As to extending the leads,,,, Call the Tig help line and they will have all the facts. Most tig machines can allow for lengthening.

Good luck
    Paul

Dynasty 200DX is the only way to go.

Yes much more money but well worth it and it will hold much more of its value for resale.

The dynasty is an awesome machine but for the value consious it is a reach. If the majority of the work is cromoly, the maxstar 150 with the tig package is a nice machine. We have one at a job I have been working at and it is good for its designed thicknesses and only a DC machine, so no aluminum capability.

FatFab No disrespect intended, I love my dynasty but it has taken me years to understand all the machines capabilities.

Peace,
    Paul

Default Econotig????

I`am confused why is everyone downing the econotig? Maybe I should have started another thread. I have owned a econotig since they came out new,have never had any problems with it and I have ask it to go beyond the call of duty without any failures. Yes I have used other Tig machines with success. Please tell me why the econotig is cr@#p
    Kenny Compton
    Cuttin,Grindin, Weldin, nutten better
    KCRacecars@yahoo.com

Thumbs up econotig

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am new at this so i dont know alot. However, for the money i think the econotig is great. I know it will do what i need it to!!!!!

Zeb

Quote Originally Posted by zkoobs1978 View Post
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am new at this so i dont know alot. However, for the money i think the econotig is great. I know it will do what i need it to!!!!!

Zeb
    the econotig is 20 yr old technology, buy the Maxstar 150 STL or STH it will kick the econotig's butt!, the Maxstar is light weight, inverter technology, you can run 110 or 220 and it will use little electricity. besides if you want to weld thin metals, get the STH model with HF start and pulsing options.
    I build 125 shifter kart chassis and weld 1 1/4 tubing all day, and this maxstar 150 kicks ass!

When the EconoTig was first introduced (or at least when I first heard about it, about 1992?) it was the machine I wanted, as it looked like I could maybe afford it. Relatively speaking.

As it turned out, it wasn't until about 4-1/2 years ago that I really got serious and my work demanded a TIG machine. Fortunately, I was able to get the Dynasty 200DX (from IOC http://www.indianaoxygen.com/products.html) and I love it!

About two (2) weeks ago, I was asked the same question from a friend of a friend, and there happened to be a slightly used 200DX on Ebay for a really good price. I just checked that link again, and it looks like nobody bid on it! The buyer was asked how many hours were on it, and I believe the answer he gave were how many cycles (he could not have welded that many hours in 1-1/2 years ). I would send the seller an E-mail and see if it's still available. Jeez, at that price, I wouldn't mind a duplicate! Let us know... http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-DYNASTY-2...3A1%7C294%3A50
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 02-04-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Randy Forbes
    Sports Cars Plus, LLC
    BMW M Coupe/Rdstr S p e c i a l i s t (weird censorship)
    Toledo, Ohio
    Spectrum 625
    Millermatic 175
    Dynasty 200DX
    www.spcarsplus.com/gallery

Quote Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
    I`am confused why is everyone downing the econotig? Maybe I should have started another thread. I have owned a econotig since they came out new,have never had any problems with it and I have ask it to go beyond the call of duty without any failures. Yes I have used other Tig machines with success. Please tell me why the econotig is cr@#p
    I don't believe anyone called it crap...it's just at the bottom rung and is now being discontinued

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX