Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    turbo38t Guest

Post em up.....what motor is in that green bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
    I"m 31, I'll be 32 in march of '09. I've been riding since i was about 8 years old and although i've crawled, been airlifted and sometimes taken an ambulance to the hospital after a big get-off i just can't give up the bikes.

In Oct 1992 i tore my left hip out of socket trying to clear the new tripple they had built at Budds Creek motorplex in budds creek maryland. I raced motocross for years, from starting in the 50cc class moving up through 80cc c.b. and a classes and eventually getting into 125B before women, cars and partying took my dedication to running the points series away, but i still continue to ride dirt adn street to this day

Then in August 2001, i had the accident that the last pic that was linked in the post that shows the wife. that was the wreck that really changed my life, and even before i learned to walk again i had another F2 in the garage that i would hobble/wheel-chair out to and work on every day until i was able to ride again.

Then in '05 when i came off a bike partially in mid-air for a video we were making and destroyed my left knee when i landed, once again i was back out stunting in a heel to hip cast/brace making videos for a "video contest" on anther board i use to admin (not on there much anymore due to the owner of it being a big ass drama queen and always threatening to sell or shut down the forum)

Not that any of that is relevent, but it's some back groundd on me..
    So... Anyone want some update pics on the cr85/xr250 hybrid build?

I"ll put some more up tonight after dinner. I just got the sub-carriage roughed in on the hybrid and want to get teh motor back in for some fresh pics to put up along with the others.

The green bike started as a 72 honda z50 mini trail. The motor started as a Lifan 125 chinker, i had a custom piston and cylinder done to make it 146cc, 13.5:1 compression ratio. Brian Crower turned a run of custom cams for us on this head, which is a rare factory big valve head that has had even larger valves stuffed in it, some mild port and bowl work and makes about the flattest torque / hp curve i've ever seen it's HP is about 15, the torque is almost 16lb/ft

It runs through a 25mm carb right now ( going to a 28 and custom intake manifold soon though)

If i can find the dyno chart i'll post it.

I'm going out for sushi right now then coming home to work on getting the final mounting tab on the bigger bikes frame and connecting the down tube to the under-carriage. This is one part i'm really wishing i didn't have to drive across town to use a plasma cutter because i'm working with really thin sheet of the gussets because they will be custom formed around the 3 tubes that intersect..gonna be a b!tch! but I will get the ics up tonight!
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Thumbs up cool lets see more.

looks like great fun, really nice toys (wife included )
    have you looked into getting a small plasma cutter ?? i have a spectrum 125-C and love it. used it on 3/32 steel with not much trouble, just a lil slow.

as for the pic's: I'm on dial up and have to say it loaded great, thanks for the warning and the low KB's.

that honda from the crash looks purity good to me. you should have seen the suzuki 750 full dresser i planted in the back of a Lincoln contenetal (road boat) back in the early 80's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

fun4now, thanks on teh compliments. Are you doing okay from your wreck? I'm all screwed up with degenerating disks between LI & L2 and S2 and S3, they want to do a double fusion but aren't giving me good odds, so i'll stay on pain killers until it gets really bad. I mean, i could get surgery for free now (through the air force) but when they say 50/50 on being in more pain or less i'd rather stay where i'm at since i can manage it decently.

I'm going down to work on the customer project some more right now (ended up going out last night) so i'll have some pics up around midnight or so of teh finished frame (unpainted) with teh motor sitting pretty inside it
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

Talking crash was no biggy, i walked away

actually i came out of the wreck fine. much better than my bike. i was doing 65 with the cruse control set and never even got my hands on the handle bars before the impact. that probably saved me, as i went over the top bouncing off the car hood with my face and actually landed on my feet in the road in front. or so i was told by onlookers . all i know is my hands were scratch and dirt free and the first thing i remember was standing in the road ?? i got 6 stitches in my chin and was released later that night. would have gotten out sooner but the EMT on sean missed my vain and pumped a full bag into my arm tissue, took them a wile to try to figure out where the break that was causing all the swelling was at. finally some one figured out it was just the IV and they put some warm towels around it to reduce the swelling and sent me home.
    i was 16 and invincible back then, funny how we all seem to be at that age. only to pay for our play in later years.
    the bike on the other hand, not so good. the force of the impact busted loose all the gears inside the motor and smashed them into a blob in the front, frame was toast all the full dress bags and faring were shattered and strewn about. she was a no fixer.

i do know your pain though. later on at 32 i crushed my phsyatic nerve at work by compressing the L-5 S-1 portion of my spine. probably would have been ok if i would have stopped working and seen a Dr. but i kept working till i could not even stand the ride in the truck to get to work. now i am heavily medicated, i suspect about the same as you. and all i get in return is taking the edge off the pain, never a pain free day again. the neurosurgeon told me i have about a 10% chance to see improvement threw surgery and a 70% chance it will get worse, the other 20% is that no change will hapen even with surgery. they recommend i wait till it reaches the point i cant walk and then they will try to get me back to the stage I'm in now. great news Ay.. they have me on morphine and codeine, they offered methadone and some other options even less fun, like an internal tank filled with morphine hooked into my spine and wired to an external button so i can shoot it as needed, even offered to put an electrode into my spine hooked up to a push button so i can shock my spine as needed ?????? so for now i just eat a little over 800 pain pills a month ( not counting Tylenol or ibuprofen type, just morphine and codeine) thats 3,000 MG. of codeine and 8,100 MG. of morphine a month. with that i am able to get out to the shop and play for an Hr or 2 a day if all goes well and i am careful, and i get to spend a lot of time on the couch around the kid's with the middle of my day spent laying down to release the presser on my spine. all in all i would have to say i am doing great for my condition and am just happy to be able to spend the time with my family, and a little play time in the shop to help keep the stir crazes from setting in on me.
    the V.A.Hospital picks up most of the bill for my med's and all of my Dr. visits so i hope they don't cut there budget too much. they mail me my med.s so i only have to drive in to see the Dr. about 2 times a year unless some thing else comes up.
    my only advice to ya is the same you already know, if you can manage as is it could well be a good idea to not mess with it till its needed. unless they have a real fix, don't mess with it. and do the best you can to keep your spirits up, playing in the shop and having family around really helps for me.
    on a side note, i know many that have had the spine fused with great results. not an option for me as its nerve damage i now have to deal with, but if its some thing that can help and they give you the option it could very well really help.

wow!!! sorry for the book!!!
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Well, as promised here's some updated picss.. I'm almost embarrased of some of the welds because some of them came out just plain ugly, but there's a combination of TIG, MIG nad Stick welding all used on it so at least i can blame ugly on the stick LOL

fun4now.. sounds like you know exactly what 'm talking about with pain. I hope you make a full recovery at some point ( i know it can take a LONG time)

pics...

Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

here's the last one..some reason it says i've got 5 photos when i use image tags to post 4 :WTF

this gets ground down and re-done for sure LOL

Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

turbo38t Guest

From the people I've talked to I'd stay away from surgery unless absolutely neccessary. I have arthitis and degenerating disks from L-1-4.....also that pelvis/spine seperation thing.....it's no fun, I find that if I keep moving I am much better off so I just work like a fool and only sleep 5-6 hours night and two aleve two times a day. No painkillers as I like to know when I am hurting so I don't overdamage stuff. Degenerative disk disorder is common in MOST people over 28-30 years of age. I'm sure some of it is from your wreck but basically degenerating disks happens to just about everyone. Dave
    fun4now, thanks on teh compliments. Are you doing okay from your wreck? I'm all screwed up with degenerating disks between LI & L2 and S2 and S3, they want to do a double fusion but aren't giving me good odds, so i'll stay on pain killers until it gets really bad. I mean, i could get surgery for free now (through the air force) but when they say 50/50 on being in more pain or less i'd rather stay where i'm at since i can manage it decently.

I'm going down to work on the customer project some more right now (ended up going out last night) so i'll have some pics up around midnight or so of teh finished frame (unpainted) with teh motor sitting pretty inside it

turbo38t Guest

Well.....for you Glenn and Fun4Now.....you guys should both really look into stabilization excersizes for your lower back problems. I've had back issues for years and was always able to motocross and snowboard and what not....well this year did me in with my freak football incident a few months back. Anyways, I have been in physical therap for two months and I am not perfect but feeling a kazillion times better. All you really need is a set of excersize bungees, a big (24-30" inflatable excersize ball and a clip strap.The excersizes taught me how to use my(only way to describe it) "Poop" "Schwinchter" or Taint" muscles to stabilize my lower extremities. Anyways, my physical therapist is Australian and worked in a spinal center for 16 years. Dave
    here's the last one..some reason it says i've got 5 photos when i use image tags to post 4 :WTF

this gets ground down and re-done for sure LOL

turbo38t
    its no longer a disk problem with me, i trashed the nerve. i have already had 2 surgery's to fix the disk problem, now its all about controlling the pain from the damage done before the surgery's. there is no recovery, just pain management. life goes on, gotta live with the hand you get dealt.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES