Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can some one pass me a shoe-horn! Long post with tons of pics..56k beware!

Well, one of my favorite things to do is race motorcycles..All sizes, and since the rash of bad get-offs at 130+ in my early 20's i've found a nice little sport that's not only affordable and fun to build your won creations, but there's actually races for them too!

The first pics are of one i started on for a customer just recently. IT came to me as a fully assemble 2005 Honda CR-85cc dirtbike. (with a blown bottom end) A few days ago I stripped the old motor, plastics, radiators and everything else off in getting ready to fi the brand new 250cc motor the owner had shipped to my house after dropping the bike off. Once this motor is in, I'm doing some port work, Crower will do the cam, Trail bikes HC piston (13.5:1 or so) and then I'm going to De-stroke it so it will rev like no 4 stroke 238cc bike you've seen I will post vids when i'm done

here's the first ones... the vids i'll post later are where we do shows for the J.D.R.F. And the A.C.S (diabetes and cancer societies...we do shows of stunting and jumping for the kids that are at the camps all over the US in the summer...one of the most rewarding things i've ever done for free..or paid to do actually)

Anyway... I aint here bout no jibber jabber LOL and here's where it gets long with pictures hope yo're nto on dial up HAhahaha

the first 6 or so are the CR85 w/ 250 motor

Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

here's where iw as just trying to figure out how to set it

it's going to be a close fit for the pipe

These 2 were taken around midnight tonight when i finally called it quits. This is probably aboue exactly how the motor will sit, now i just have to biuld soe mounts, a cradle, re0enforce teh upper frame i hacked up and put it back together..yea thats easy enough LOL
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

Here's some of my other builds for stunting and racing.. Both the red/black bike and the green rat rod were piles of rusted up junk in a garage...we got a pair fo them for 200 bucks, then a lot of time and effort later, i built the red and black one for my buddy (did all the fab and paint..was his mental idea though) And the green rat rod (a.k.a. project good will..a.k.a. the grenade) is my baby! it was a pile of junk, i call it roject goodwill because the frame was given to me for the work i did on the red bike, and the motor (125cc when it was stock) was donated for some work for the owner of the first bike in this thread ( i build and tune his real moto-x race motors ) THe gren bike boasts over 15 HP, in a 115lb bike lots of custom parts from cams to pistons..one offs aren't cheap either..that's where i spent all my money since i got the rest for doing what i love and just had to paint and build it

Last edited by turboglenn; 12-15-2008 at 02:09 AM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

The green one before i got a pipie built. and trying on a new seat.. if you look close ALL the welds are smoothed over with bondo on the frame...talk about time 8)

Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

And here's some of my street girl, a glance of the one that made me a cripple for life and evena pic of the one i stunt at the shows we do ( you can see accessories on it for doing different trick combos) There's even 2 of my wifes bike after geting some chrome and a pic her beuatiful self as well (and had to throw in the 2 other things i love,,,guns and my car on slicks )

Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

Fnally, the wife's bike and her in her belly dancing costume yum enjoy

This is the one that crippled me... 135 MPH was all i could slow to by the time i made impact...I'm very lucky to be here, but i'll never stop riding, only ride smarter.. I'm leaving it a link because i think it's huge
    http://members.cox.net/turboglenn/WreckedF3.jpg
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

UPDATE: AS far as the "project" that started this thread goes, I got the lower rear mount (down by the foot pegs) built and tacked in place. The i positioned the otor for equal clearnace all the way around, made sure my sprocket was lined up dead center with the rear one and built the upper mount on the back of the head. I fully welded it into place as a guide for tweaking the positioning using it as a fulcrum.

Now i have to come up with a way to make a removable under-carriage that will connect to the front mounts along with something that extends down from the front fame tube and ties all 3 pieces together to get the strength back in the frame, basically using the motor and the backbone to the frames structural integrity.

I'm too tired and sore for pics tonight, but once i get some more done tomorrow i'll have some up right away.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

So, is it that i posted too many pictures, put it in the wrong section (maybe should be in motorcports) or is no one interested in this project at all?

I ask because of large amount of views and no feedback on the project.

I've been at it still and am almost to the point of finishing the motor install to the point where i can mount the ignition components, strip it back down nd refinish the paint job to make it look as OEM as i can..anyone interested in me posting the updated pics?
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

turbo38t Guest

LOL......how old are you anyways? I'm 31 and been riding my whole life.....I raced mx and did freestyle up until the last 3-4 months(seperated my pelvis/spine slightly having a catch wityh a football with my little cousin. Anyways, I never got seriously hurt riding and took alot of chances. I mean, I seperated a shoulder, broke my heel and tore my arch, but never anything REAL bad. I always got hurt doing stupid stuff.....smashed my entire face/eye socket/jaw when i flipped a golf cart with a blown motor at the Indy Racewaypark.....broke my back lifting delivering snapple.....bruised my tailbone and got a good concussion trying a 360 in Colorado last year.....but all the bad stuff never happened while I was on a bike.....I gues it's because I am always focused when riding?! Dave PS- Is that a Daytona Honda motor in the green bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
    So, is it that i posted too many pictures, put it in the wrong section (maybe should be in motorcports) or is no one interested in this project at all?

I ask because of large amount of views and no feedback on the project.

I've been at it still and am almost to the point of finishing the motor install to the point where i can mount the ignition components, strip it back down nd refinish the paint job to make it look as OEM as i can..anyone interested in me posting the updated pics?

I"m 31, I'll be 32 in march of '09. I've been riding since i was about 8 years old and although i've crawled, been airlifted and sometimes taken an ambulance to the hospital after a big get-off i just can't give up the bikes.

In Oct 1992 i tore my left hip out of socket trying to clear the new tripple they had built at Budds Creek motorplex in budds creek maryland. I raced motocross for years, from starting in the 50cc class moving up through 80cc c.b. and a classes and eventually getting into 125B before women, cars and partying took my dedication to running the points series away, but i still continue to ride dirt adn street to this day

Then in August 2001, i had the accident that the last pic that was linked in the post that shows the wife. that was the wreck that really changed my life, and even before i learned to walk again i had another F2 in the garage that i would hobble/wheel-chair out to and work on every day until i was able to ride again.

Then in '05 when i came off a bike partially in mid-air for a video we were making and destroyed my left knee when i landed, once again i was back out stunting in a heel to hip cast/brace making videos for a "video contest" on anther board i use to admin (not on there much anymore due to the owner of it being a big ass drama queen and always threatening to sell or shut down the forum)

Not that any of that is relevent, but it's some back groundd on me..
    So... Anyone want some update pics on the cr85/xr250 hybrid build?
    Last edited by turboglenn; 12-19-2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45