Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Developing Horseshoe Prototyes

My first post...I am working on the design of a new horseshoe(s). I need to develop prototypes cheaply. I could work with existing horseshoes and have the modifications added in some fashion. I have also just seen a video demo of the Torchmate CNC Cutting System which would work nicely with my computer background if it would cut angles. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I live in Maryland. Thanks
    lvMMMCCIX
    http://tinyurl.com/MyWay1
    My Horseshoe Blog

I don't understand what your question really is. Are you looking for a way to prototype them yourself so that no one can see or just looking for some way tog et teh first ones laid out before sending them to production?

I would just find a CNC mill in your area, take him a print and ahve it cut. They don't need to know what it is, in fact if you're afraid of design theft, tell them it's something for a car, motorcycle whatever.

I had a guy bringing me stuff for a hydrogen engine prototype, i built and welded many SS parts for the guy before ever knowing what they were really for (and so did the CNC guy i know where i got the welfding work lined up through)

It wasn't until it was done that we knew, and niether of us has seen the final product to know how to duplicate it if we wanted to.

point being, if it's secrecy that's your concern for not out-sourcing the prototype, then use deception!

Best of luck and i hope you get something figured out.. If you look into (google) home made CNC milling setups you will learn how easy you cna make your own CNC 2d cutting system (3d if you're good with PC's and fab work)...just google it, i've found tons of info in the past, you should be able to as well.

Hope this was some help, but as stated, not knowing exactly what you're asking (except the part about the torch cutting) leaves me with little to go on. I'm not trying to be rude, just stating why my answer is kinda vague
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Thanks for the reply turboglenn...

Nothing secret here. I am trying to find an inexpensive way to create a prototype of a new horseshoe design. I am looking for a single sample for testing. It might be possible to take an existing horseshoe and weld some inner changes, but, I don't know if it is possible. The other possibility is to create the CNC instructions to cut out the shape, but, I don't know if CNC equipment can create angle cuts? In general, a horseshoe is either cast or drop forged. They cannot weight more than 2 lbs 10 ozs. There is also a width, length and opening maximum set by the National Horseshoe Pitching Association. Once an acceptable prototype is created it must go before the NHPA for approval. I assume creating a mold and casting for a single prototype would be cost prohibitive. Right now, there are about 50 different models available which have been approved. Today I saw a version of the Torchmate CNC that appeared to be a possible candidate for prototyping. I'm hoping there is someone close by who has one and can quote me a price.

Thanks
    lvMMMCCIX
    http://tinyurl.com/MyWay1
    My Horseshoe Blog

a 5 axis cnc mill would be able to make any cut you want...
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

A 3 axis could do anything he's asking too.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default country boy

I thought you ment the ones that go on horse's feet, but thats what you get when you live in the middle of farm country.

Hunt up a local farrier and have him bend you one up. Most farriers are regularly building/forging custom shoes. A horseshoe for pitching would be a piece of cake for a farrier to make and probably much cheaper than having one machined or torch cut to your specs. Draw out the specs and ask around.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Yeah that title threw me for a loop.I couldn't understand why you needed to design another horseshoe. I too have horses and there is tons of different styles out there.Should have known it was something different.
    Sounds like the horseshoe game is pretty technical

Quote Originally Posted by Photon713 View Post
    My first post...I am working on the design of a new horseshoe(s). I need to develop prototypes cheaply. I could work with existing horseshoes and have the modifications added in some fashion. I have also just seen a video demo of the Torchmate CNC Cutting System which would work nicely with my computer background if it would cut angles. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I live in Maryland. Thanks
    This part (in red) appears to be the real question?

The cutting system you ask about will take a flat sheet and cut a shape from it in "one plane only". (as in the horseshoes.pdf) The other file (horseshoes boss pdf shows a a bi-level part)

Or am I still missing your question
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FATFAB; 12-14-2008 at 10:48 AM.

FATFAB Sorry I'm going a little off topic here.
    http://millerwelds.com/resources/com...2&d=1229275916

Is this a stand alone program? It looks like a super cool way to present a 3-d drawing. Also what was this drawn with?

Thanks Tom