Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need to weld jonny joints onto bars

i need to weld some jonny joints onto some 1.5" .250 wall tubing i have a dynasty200dx as be the weld calc i dont have enough welder to do it i would see this as a fillet weld the jonny joint shell is 3/16" the calc is sayin around 260amps and 3/32 orange tungsten what do yall think do i need more machine? i have a mm251 but feel better tiggin theese. both pieces are mild steel dom tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    i need to weld some jonny joints onto some 1.5" .250 wall tubing i have a dynasty200dx as be the weld calc i dont have enough welder to do it i would see this as a fillet weld the jonny joint shell is 3/16" the calc is sayin around 260amps and 3/32 orange tungsten what do yall think do i need more machine? i have a mm251 but feel better tiggin theese. both pieces are mild steel dom tubing.
    260 amps is Way too much for a 3/32" tungsten. You should only need about 150 amps, max! You can bevel the tubing and do mulitiple passes to fill it but you probably only need one pass. You could also do a wash pass and add filler at both sides of the "wash" movement. Just grind any mill scale off the johnny joint first.

my two cents...

oh i screwed up i meant 1/8 orange tung!!

ok so educate me on the wash pass? since my machine is only a 200a machine i dont think i can make the weld but i know the inverter machines will run lower amps.

thanks again for all the help!!

That 200DX will easily weld that!

I welded this yesterday,

2"x3"x 3/16"wall square tube welded to 3" x 1/2"wall round with my 200DX - 3/32 tung at 160 amps - more than enough!
    Attached Images Attached Images

TS-OFF-ROAD,
    that is INSANE!!!
    I'm hoping to get my contractor's kit soon for my new Dynasty 200DX (air cooled torch). I want to weld 1/4" thick aluminum square tubing for a truck rack. someone told me I'd probably use about 175 amps to do it. I'm guessing that would put me in the 20% duty cycle range. Can you tell me what type tungsten/size and other info you would try?
    thanks,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

TS,
    re: pic, what is that for? I was thinking trailer axle
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

ts- that looks awesome.

they look like some suspension link bars if ya ask me about the same thing im doing but using some differnt material. im 4 linkin my F350 front and back bar air bags the back is done just gotta do the front now. 2" lift along with the air ride. ill never have a truck on leaf springs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Whats a jonny joint
    http://currieenterprises.com/CEStore/johnnyjoints.aspx

Nice work TS! Looks like only one pass too...

Talking

Ts-offroad , pruddy Weld

Inferno Forge

Chris