Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picket Twister

Cool

Another gearbox/motor pic. I use this setup on 3 different machines so its portable. Its all bolted to a 3" angle so i just adapt the angle to my next project and line it up...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

nice set up

more pictures

Cool

Here is the gearbox set up on my slip rolls with the guard removed for picture taking...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by Zebu Fellenz View Post
    I would NOT do that unless you really gear down the PTO, barstock spinning at 540 or 1000 RPM would be *dangerous*
    The tractor PTOs only turn their rated rpm (540 or 1000) when the engine is at its rated rpm (usually almost full throttle). I have one tractor that at idle only turns 148 rpm. Can be very useful for those slow turning machines.

I have a very simple picket twister that does 1/2" and 3/8" square bar. No pics, but let me try to explain it. I took a length of 1" .120 square tubing and welded a piece of 1" pipe to the side near the "top" end. I went to the pawn shop and found old sockets are will just fit inside the pipe. One is a 3/8" and the other is a 1/2" drive. On those I welded "T" handles. My 3/8" is about 24" long and the handle for the 1/2" is about 40" long. Now, on the other end I just made a receiver that the square stock will drop into. One side is for 1/2" and the other holds 3/8". The receiver slides on the 1" tubing. I can twist up to about 4 ft stuff, but a longer piece of 1" tubing would extend that if I needed it. I put an ear on the side of the 1" tubing so that I can secure this thing in my vise. It's very simple to use and I've twisted a lot of square bar with it. I'll get pics if anybody is that interested.
    Jim

JimTX.....

AW...C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!! : DUH!!!!!!!!!!

PICS!
    PICS!
    PICS!
    PICS!
    PICS!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Ok ok!! Gimmie a day to get them.
    Jim

Thumbs up

but you have already had 2..................ok i guesss we can wait one more.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    but you have already had 2..................ok i guesss we can wait one more.
    THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!! GEE, YOU HAD ALL WEEKEND!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

wheres the pictures already ?