Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default welding/fixing billet aluminum grill

i need some help. i have this billet aluminum grill for my truck that of course being aftermarket it didnt quite fit correctly. so when all else fails.... weld it. well i figured i would just pick up some aluminum from homedepot since i only needed a small piece and cut it to the correct size i need for new mounts. i took it all to work since they just picked up a new tig and have them weld it up for me since i havent learned how to tig and im not gonna start on this. well i showed them what i needed. no problem. come back later, and they said they stopped and proceeded to show me why. he said that as soon as he started to weld the new piece of aluminum to the grill, the grill started to warp, according to him he had the settings as low as he could. so it ended up warping the bar below the one he was welding on. i dont know how to weld aluminum nor tig but ive heard of being able to weld the aluminum cans together. so why would this happen? and how can i fix it? is there certain ways to weld regular aluminum and billet aluminum? i already cut the mounts that came on the grill off. and now the second bar down is warped and "flops" back and forth when pushed. id hate to say its ruined because these are hard to come by for my truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images