Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The old "won't take pennies" thing has been around for a long time. One guy sued because some government office would not take his pennies. Went all the way to the Supreme Court. The final ruling was that they don't have to take pennies because pennies are NOT legal tender. Nickels and up are.

GS

Question "Tenderizer"

GilaSlim: I'd like to read that ruling, I just looked at the "4 coins" and I couldn't find anywhere on them minted "legal tender," just "face" value. as Artie Johnson used to say: "Verrry Intresting!"

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

That was somewhere over 30 years ago that I read an article in the newspaper. Don't know where you would find it now. Things may have changed.

GS

There's always a loophole:

Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Question "Wooden Nickels"

Pumpkinhead: I went to the US Treasury website, and read the exact same article. Interesting how this thread went from pics of coins welded together to this. Gives new meaning to "Welding Education."

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Thumbs down "federal resrve"

I challenge anyone to show me where the "federal reserve" is a government entity?

Had to ask?

OhioDave

HOTsdale AZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzc8vS-ac-g

Pennies are legal tender, just happened recently..cops were involved and everything.

Ben Y

Quote Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
    Especially the boxers/panties...that's liek saying.."leave a skidmark on our nations symbol of freedom"

My wife's military, i grew up military and although some think it silly i have a great respect for our flag. SHe won't fly in bad weather, she's enver tangled and she's always proudly displayed and lit up out front of my house

Although i don't agree with our governments hacked version of what they think the constitution allows THEM to do, i am proud of my country and would stand behind her till my death! Unfortunately i cna't serve in the armed forces because i was already crippled too much for them to take me when i tried to enlist, but if they ever take "volunteers" for a "bad situation", i'm right there.

Sorry to go OT..carry on :P
    I dunno... I agree in taking pride in our country's flag. I have buried lots of friends in its defense as have many others. I was military, as was my father and grandfather, and my other grandfather was Royal Engineer for the Brits in WWII. I love this country, but when I see a nicely filled flag bikini the ONLY thing I think is "God bless America!"
    DYNASTY 200SD
    COOLMATE 1
    MM140AS
    SPOOLMATE 100
    SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
    SPECTRUM 125C

Quote Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
    I was working on this the other say when the nickle/dime thread was active, then it dissapeared.. so here they are

\actually a little trickier than i imagined, this was all a series of tacks as these things melt away FAST!
    That, my friends, is what is known as "PRICELESS".

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    You sir are in big trouble!!! Defacing US currency is a crime.
    The Federal Reserve scam.
    Millermatic140; Spectrum625; Bobcat250; Lincoln AC225; Bosch grinder