Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Pennies, such as are crushed into tourist souvenirs, are an exception. Nickels and higher denominations, are illegal to destroy. He's right.
    BULL-O-NEY!

It is illegal to destroy all U.S. coin for PROFIT (i.e. smelting when the spot price is higher than the face value) except:

(b) The prohibition contained in 82.1 against the treatment of 5-cent coins and one-cent coins shall not apply to the treatment of these coins for educational, amusement, novelty, jewelry, and similar purposes as long as the volumes treated and the nature of the treatment makes it clear that such treatment is not intended as a means by which to profit solely from the value of the metal content of the coins.
    Prior to this enactment you owned to coin, iff'n you felt like destroying good money, so be it.

Just to clarify.
    The reason the enactment specifies 1 & 5 cent coins is;
    a) it's just silly to have a law that states look at your pennies because this law pertains to pennies minted prior to 1982.
    b) there isn't enough metal in dimes, quarters, halfs and dollar coins to have a face far above the metal's value.
    Last edited by PUMPKINHEAD; 12-12-2008 at 02:23 PM.

It is also illegal to TIG a mustache onto Ol' George and sell it as a rare collectable. Well for more than .25usd anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
    You better call in every amusement park in the US then, because every one of them has the little machine to crush money into a little trinket. I'm not sure what it is but some where there's a stipulation in using money in art or converting coins into something.... at least that's what i was told when asking how they were allowed to crush coins into those things... plus i could always grind them apart LOL (not)
    Are you talking about the machines and the you put 2 quartes and 1 penny in? They have them are rest stops too. Do you really think they use your penny? I hope not cause they dont...

Quote Originally Posted by Mustangous View Post
    Are you talking about the machines and the you put 2 quartes and 1 penny in? They have them are rest stops too. Do you really think they use your penny? I hope not cause they dont...
    Yea, there's ones in Worlds of fun in KC, MO that you put in 50 cents, then palce your penny in this slot and you watch it as it gets crushed through the gears, smoothed and then imprinted. So you know it's your penny.

Now that seems like it would be illeal since it profits from teh destruction. Merely welding a statue from nickels or pennies would count as art, novelty etc in the one act cited so basically as long as you're not profiting from the contents of the penny or nickel, you are allowed to make it into what ever you so please from what i understand.... LOL whew, good thing i didn't use dimes i guess LOL
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Now that seems like it would be illeal since it profits from teh destruction.
    Nope, it's a novelty and excluded. As well as your welded nickels which are permissible under: "educational, amusement, novelty, and perhaps similar purposes

LOL whew, good thing i didn't use dimes i guess LOL
    Dimes and higher denomination are not included in this act, as the metal content is well below the face value.

The reason the Gov't enacted this law was a while back both nickel (the metal) and copper were priced above what the coin was valued at by several cents, making a nickel coin worth about 6 cents I recall, and maybe two cents per penny (pre-'82's). The Gov't was of course spending more than that to have the alloy produced and strip made. So they didn't like losing money (pun both intended and not).

What would happen if you made a HUGE art project using nickels, dimes or quarters, then sold that "sculpture" for $5,000 or more???
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    ...do you remember the Richard Pryor movie that he was some accountant and had all the change on someone's bank accounts go to him?...
    That was the only good part in Superman III.

Default "Nickels, Dimes & Pennies"

I think I'll play it safe, and practice on a row of fender washers
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Hah, they were talking on the radio news this morning about some guy in New Jersey who has a $50 traffic ticket and had gone to the bank to purposely get $50 in pennies to pay it with. The court REFUSED the payment, and now he's in bigger trouble... And of course, the idiots on the news don't do any friggin research before they start with their opinions...

Question "Pennies From Heaven"

MAC702: That's pretty bad when a Municipal Court WON"T accept US Currency (though be it coins) for payment! But,they'll gladly accept PLASTIC

"The End is Nearer Than We Think............."

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"