Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aluminum grinder pedestal

With my small garage, benchtop space is at a premium. I made this pedestal one afternoon to get my grinder off the bench. 1/4 plate and 3" pipe, tigged.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syncrowave 250 DX w/cooler
    Spectrum 625
    Millermatic 180 w/ autoset
    OCC Paul jr Elite helmet
    a couple Harleys, a dog and wife. In that order.

Nice job! Was that scrap you had lying around???
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Got the materials on eBay fairly cheap. You can find some goods deals every now and then. I made it out of aluminum just cause I could and I wanted to polish it and have something different.
    Syncrowave 250 DX w/cooler
    Spectrum 625
    Millermatic 180 w/ autoset
    OCC Paul jr Elite helmet
    a couple Harleys, a dog and wife. In that order.

Bert, AL is cheaper than steel in some cases. Sure, it's 3x the price, but only 1/3 the weight. Volumetrically speaking - price per volume should be roughly identical (market factors influence this). You need thicker AL to handle the same job as steel - but often times the stuff we make is way overbuilt to begin with. Steel should be cheaper to use because you technically need less of it.

Using one of my suppliers online catalogs:

1x1x12" of 6061 AL is $8.82
    1x1x12" A36 HR steel is $9.40
    1x1x12" CR 1018 is $11.27

These prices include a $5 cut charge per.
    Last edited by Fishy Jim; 12-12-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Bert, AL is cheaper than steel in some cases. Sure, it's 3x the price, but only 1/3 the weight. Volumetrically speaking - price per volume should be roughly identical (market factors influence this). You need thicker AL to handle the same job as steel - but often times the stuff we make is way overbuilt to begin with. Steel should be cheaper to use because you technically need less of it.

Using one of my suppliers online catalogs:

1x1x12" of 6061 AL is $8.82
    1x1x12" A36 HR steel is $9.40
    1x1x12" CR 1018 is $11.27

These prices include a $5 cut charge per.
    yeah Jim, but don't forget...they would KILL me on the shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...

Bert, the comparisons should translate to your local suppliers. It's cheaper to ship AL as more of it (volume) can be loaded onto a ship for the same weight. Ever notice how a semi is at max load capacity long before the volume of area they have to use is consumed when hauling steel?
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Jim,
    I think our aluminum flat stock comes in 12' lengths...find out what it cost you for 1/4"
    x 2" wide and I'll see what it'll cost me...ok?
    I'm not late...

http://www.discountsteel.com/

They're higher than most in the area, but they have a lot of drops due to the fab shop and cut to size service. I rarely have to consider paying full price on anything due to the volume of drops available.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Jim I certainly see you point and stainless ALWAYS blows me away for what you get vs what you pay
    But man I work with aluminum almost exclusively....and when I need to use MILD steel for a project it floors me how much cheaper I can build things than with aluminum
    Thats why I bought a new mig machine...all you guys fooling around with ferrous stuff was making me feel left out

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

FK, do you actually build to an engineered design, or is it seat of the pants material spec?

Like I said earlier, you need far less volume of steel to accomplish the same strength. So in common practice (build to design strength rather than volume), it is cheaper to use steel than AL. But, if volume is the only comparison (such as a heavy jig made of a solid chunk), AL is cheaper. You need more AL by volume than you do steel to achieve a specific load capacity. At the same strength, the AL will be much lighter than the steel (and will have cost you more).
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig