Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Kegerator Beer line cleaner

I needed a way to clean by beer lines in my kegerator and the available equipment was expensive for what it was. For under 30 bucks I was able to make my own. I used a drill press and hole saw to make the hole and tigged on my pipe nipple. I think I used 1 1/4 pipe. Maybe 1 1/2. Just add beer line cleanser, water, tap it and go.

* Using a beer keg is illegal, it's private property of the brewer, you only lease it, so get slightly damaged one from a scrap dealer/brewer. Your a welder, fix it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syncrowave 250 DX w/cooler
    Spectrum 625
    Millermatic 180 w/ autoset
    OCC Paul jr Elite helmet
    a couple Harleys, a dog and wife. In that order.

looks good

What advice do you have for drilling a hole in a keg? I've got a few that I'm modifying for a friend who home brews and the first hole took close to forever to get through. I drilled a small hole straight through and opened it up to 3/4in with a step bit. I tied drilling pretty slow and used wd-40 to try and keep it lubed up. The initial hole was what took forever, the step bit went pretty fast. I even had to stop part way through and sharpen the drill bit.
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set

I used a standard Rigid brand hole saw in a drill press. Once I got the pilot bit started, the hole saw cut through fairly quick. I didn't use an cutting fluid because I was afraid it would sling all over the inside and I'd have a **** of a time getting it cleaned out enough for my use. I would put on a little pressure, then let off to cool, pressure, cool,pressure , cool... I guess I don't have any advice as to drilling a keg but one thing that might help: For stainless steel fittings, I went to http://www.buyfittingsonline.com and got them much cheaper than locally or McMaster-Carr. Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Syncrowave 250 DX w/cooler
    Spectrum 625
    Millermatic 180 w/ autoset
    OCC Paul jr Elite helmet
    a couple Harleys, a dog and wife. In that order.

Default Kegerator Beer line cleaner

One thing I have to remind you about is when welding stainless steel especially for food product is to back purge the tube, pipe or pressure vessel otherwise oxidation will occurr on the back side of the weld. You will not be able to properly clean the weld during any CIP (cleaning in place) process. Bacteria could occur in the weld. Not to mention lack of strength. And also make sure you get full pentration.

Default beer lines

You're cleaning the keg and the lines, right?
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!