Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Thunderbolt blues arise again!!

Hmmmm... this doesn't look good for the ol' Thunderbolt guys. I had been welding quite a bit earlier today. Nothing large, just a few 3"-8" beads on a bumper that I was fabbing for my jeep. After each weld I would stop chip off the slag an wire brush everything- thus giving the machine a break. Usually I come nowhere close to hitting the max limit of my duty cycle. I turned it off while I went inside for a half hour or so then... when I came back out to put the finishing touches on the bumper. Nothing. Well nothing but a LOUD hum coming from the welder, almost as if it was under a heavy load. Quite a few amps running through her. Didn't even try to weld as this was surely not a good thing. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Everything worked fine when I shut it off. Its only now that I turn it on that It does this. Blows the breaker quite easily.

Scuffy

check the ends of your plug / ext cord as over time they will build up a varnish and will cause a draw....also if your leads are wrapped on the machine ie a handle etc. check them and make sure there are no cuts etc in the insulation.....
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

check the diodes

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be the lead connections inside the machine. Take the cover off and check the lead sockets, I had a fiber washer that was broken in half from a terminal being tighented too tight, and shorted out the welding current. My machine was an older one, however you might strike lucky.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000