Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I guess this would qualify as one of those overbuilt trailers.The base frame is made out of 4"channel from the tongue all the way to the back of the trailer.The frame on top of it to hold my boards are 2"x3"x1/4"angle.The top box frame is made out of 2"x2" angle.The axles are rated 6000#.and all of this is mainly to haul my trailblazer on,so I would say its overbuilt.But the reason the material is so heavy pretty much everything was free.the only thing I will have to buy is the jackstand,coupler,lights,and the boards so I made it with what was availbe to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill
    millwaukee steel cutting skillsaw

dewalt 14" cold cut off saw
    various hand &power tools
    spoolmatic 30a

Default over built

cajuncat, nice job on your trailer, yes , for the usage you describe it is a bit on the over kill side. Given the fact the materials were free, I would have done the same. The only thing that I may have done different from you is the placement of your 2x3's. I would have stood them on the 3" side so there is a kick board to help smaller items from wanting to slide out. Other than that it looks well constructed and should outlast you. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

I still have some of the finish work to do to it like a spare tire rack.I'm thinking about using tubing to go from one side rail to the other where it arches over the welding machine to wrap my leads and hoses on.I have to make my brackets to hold my bottles.I will put a tool box on the front of it.And install my air compressor on it to so there will be more on it besides just a welding machine,but still a lot more trailer than for what it is hauling.
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill

spoolmatic 30a

Dave,
    I got a set of plans from Chris, so Im sure that will help with filling in some of the blanks and questions I might have as the building process goes along. On the tounge, I am going no less than 3" channel. I want to be able to load sod, dirt or gravel with out the worry of bending the tounge. I just wasnt sure what you used for yours and I understand what you said about building it to what its intended usage will be. Hey Thanks for the email on the steel companys, I will make some call this week. Thanks, Eric
    MM 175
    Oxy/Act Set
    220 Arc Welder

Default Would like a copy of the plans

Chris,

If the plans are still available i sure would like a copy of them Thanks In Advance
    you can send them to vinniethesmelt@hotmail.com

cajuncat,

That trailer looks substantial enough to haul your Trailblazer, along with the pickup you've got the Trailblazer mounted on.

Just kidding, nice work.

Can't beat the cost of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    cajuncat,

That trailer looks substantial enough to haul your Trailblazer, along with the pickup you've got the Trailblazer mounted on.

Just kidding, nice work.

Can't beat the cost of materials.
    Just put the finishing touches on it this weekend.And my luck continues on the materials.The company that we use at work for all our painting told me for 2 cases of budwieser they would sandblast & paint it for me.Its in the shop getting painted as we speak.My buddy that I asked to hook up the electric brakes for me will supply all the lights for it for a case of bud light.And my father-in-law has the pressure treated boards left over from a job for me.I guess its nice when people don't mind working for beer instead of cash.Just hope I have the same kind of luck getting work for it.
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill

spoolmatic 30a

Chris,
    If you still have the plans could you please email them to me? I have spent countless hours on the internet looking for "free" plans and cannot find any. My email is adamfesta19@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by fernesto View Post
    Chris,
    If you still have the plans could you please email them to me? I have spent countless hours on the internet looking for "free" plans and cannot find any. My email is adamfesta19@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.
    Look here, Basic plans for single and tandem axle trailers. Champion also has all the parts you will need.

http://www.championtrailers.com/UTIL...AILER_KITS.HTM

Default how tall would a cargo box be on a 6'x12' trailer

What I am doing is buying 6x12 foot trailer the first 4 foot will be used for storage
    after that i want to build a cargo box on the trailer

I want to be able to stand up in the box. I was told that 6' 6" would work if the box was on this size of trailer without the need to worry about it blowing over as it is pulled down the road

Do you have any ideas on this?