Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Utility Trailer Plans/Questions

I have searched the message board and the internet for utility trailer plans/ ideas, with little success. Has anyone used one these plans with good results or willing to share some plans? I want to build a 6' x 12' trailer w/ 24" sides and a drop gate, #3500 axle. I have looked at some trailers to get ideas but most seem to be under built. I want to over build mine, to add a measure a safety in case it is overloaded by a friend. Any help or offers would be great. I bought the MM 175 and thought this would be a good project to break it in on instead of my MM 130.
    MM 175
    Oxy/Act Set
    220 Arc Welder

this is what i am working on its a 6x12 single axle 3500 i got the plans and can email you them if you would like.

Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 200 with coolmate 3
    Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_7413.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ev372 View Post
    I have searched the message board and the internet for utility trailer plans/ ideas, with little success. Has anyone used one these plans with good results or willing to share some plans? I want to build a 6' x 12' trailer w/ 24" sides and a drop gate, #3500 axle. I have looked at some trailers to get ideas but most seem to be under built. I want to over build mine, to add a measure a safety in case it is overloaded by a friend. Any help or offers would be great. I bought the MM 175 and thought this would be a good project to break it in on instead of my MM 130.
    If it's going to be a single axle just be aware of the load limitations. 3500# includes the weight of the empty trailer so it's not hard to max it out. I have an enclosed trailer that's single axle 6 x 12 so that's why I am mentioning it.

Chris,
    Could I have a copy of those plans also?????
    Please?
    thanks,
    bert
    hawaiianmetalworks@hotmail.com
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default trailer plans

I don't don't have any trailer plans per se as each one that I build is a custom order to fit the buyers needs. The one thing that you mention is over build, why?, A 6'x12' trailer would be difficult to over load unless you plan on moving heavy pieces of machinery. The common every day person will move household items and not much in the way of equipment.
    Over engineering the trailer will only help you do more work than is necessary, cost more money than you need to spend and will decrease the payload capacity using the heavier materials. I can't see an advantage to the overbuild theory. If you are worried about friends overloading it, don't lend it out unless they are willing to pay for any damages.

My suggestion would be to figure out what will most commonly be placed on the trailer and build accordingly from there.

www.championtrailers.com has a basic layout for a single and tandem trailer in their catalog that is a decent starting point to work from. One more thing to note, I see you are located over in Tampa, don't buy your trailer supplies from Redneck trailer supply as they are way over priced on their items. Dave

P.S. I have added a few pictures of a 6'4"x12' that I delivered just yesterday, this is the second set I have built for this customer and still have 2 more sets to build him, Thought it may give you some ideas for yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dabar39; 07-18-2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added pics.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Dave, thanks for the info. I was going to use 3" channel x 3/16" for the tounge, since my last trailer recived a bent tounge from my brother in law, due to placeing to much weight forward. This is what I ment by over build, and I agree with your policy -"You break it, You pay to fix it". I was just trying to avoid the aggravation. I like the pictures of your trailers, this gives me some ideas to add to mine if I can find a better price on steel. I did by my axle from RedNeck, $92.00 for a #3500 with leaf springs and hardware; a friend has an account with them. Also, I priced the steel locally, about $600.00 . By the time I purchase all the parts, I will be over what I could buy an already made trailer - $850.00, but not built to what I want. I have to call around and check other suppliers. Thanks for the help, keep it coming. I will check with the web sit you mentioned about those plans.
    MM 175
    Oxy/Act Set
    220 Arc Welder

ev372,
    don't worry about Dave, he's just showing off As long as you guys build trailers, don't e-mail each other!!! We want to learn EVERYTHING
    Dave, If you build a trailer for someone, tell them it's rated for 2000lbs,
    and there the smart people that they are, overload it and it breaks, then they try to sue you, wouldn't it be better to overbuild it?
    thanks guys,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Over building

Bert, I don't see a need to over build anything, If they are gonna break it they are gonna break it. When I build a 3500 lb. trailer it is rated for just that, if the owner overloads it and it bends or breaks, how is the liability on me?

A 6'4"x12' trailer being built with 2"x3"x3/16" angle for the frame and 2"x3"x11ga. box tube for the tongue, 1 1/2" angle for the uprights and perimeter rails, and decked with 2"x8" or 2"x10" plank boards is more than sufficient. Building with these materials the empty trailer weighs in at about 480 lbs. Leaving you with a payload capacity of 3020 lbs.

When you build the same trailer using 3"channel you now have a trailer that weighs 640 lbs. and a payload capacity of 2860 lbs.
    How did you gain anything by over building it, you just spent alot more money on materials and lessened the payload. Another thing to note, Trailer axles and springs are rated at about 85% of their actual capacity, so if it is overloaded to the point of failure, it's the owners own gross negligence.

Just my thoughts and I'm sure some of these guys on here are going to dispute my way of thinking, as I know a few have the overbuild mentality, in advance I will say no hard feelings and you are entitled to your own opinion and I am entitled to mine. Dave
    Last edited by dabar39; 07-19-2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: fingers don't like to spell the way my brain does.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Dave - I agree with building everything such that all the components match. If I use a 3500lb axel, then overbuilding any other portion will just mean the axle gives out first. I would reinforce certain areas where experience shows they are more susceptible to damage.

Which leads to my question - is your selection of 2x3x3/16 angle based on experience (and a history of satisfied customers) or based on engineering analysis? I'm not in the business but I've made a few trailers. Each time I've gone looking around at commercial trailers - but they all seem flimsy to me.
    I would likely have used 3" channel for a 12' trailer - just cause it "seems" about right, but I would really like to know if there are any "guidelines" or reference tables published.

Big Eddy

Chris,
    Thanks for the offer on the plans. If that offer is still available could you send me a set. Im new to the message board so Im not sure how to you can my email with out me posting it here. let me know, Thanks, Eric
    MM 175
    Oxy/Act Set
    220 Arc Welder