Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Utility Trailer Plans/Questions

I have searched the message board and the internet for utility trailer plans/ ideas, with little success. Has anyone used one these plans with good results or willing to share some plans? I want to build a 6' x 12' trailer w/ 24" sides and a drop gate, #3500 axle. I have looked at some trailers to get ideas but most seem to be under built. I want to over build mine, to add a measure a safety in case it is overloaded by a friend. Any help or offers would be great. I bought the MM 175 and thought this would be a good project to break it in on instead of my MM 130.
    MM 175
    Oxy/Act Set
    220 Arc Welder

this is what i am working on its a 6x12 single axle 3500 i got the plans and can email you them if you would like.

Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 200 with coolmate 3
    Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_7413.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ev372 View Post
    I have searched the message board and the internet for utility trailer plans/ ideas, with little success. Has anyone used one these plans with good results or willing to share some plans? I want to build a 6' x 12' trailer w/ 24" sides and a drop gate, #3500 axle. I have looked at some trailers to get ideas but most seem to be under built. I want to over build mine, to add a measure a safety in case it is overloaded by a friend. Any help or offers would be great. I bought the MM 175 and thought this would be a good project to break it in on instead of my MM 130.
    If it's going to be a single axle just be aware of the load limitations. 3500# includes the weight of the empty trailer so it's not hard to max it out. I have an enclosed trailer that's single axle 6 x 12 so that's why I am mentioning it.

Chris,
    Could I have a copy of those plans also?????
    Please?
    thanks,
    bert
    hawaiianmetalworks@hotmail.com
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default trailer plans

I don't don't have any trailer plans per se as each one that I build is a custom order to fit the buyers needs. The one thing that you mention is over build, why?, A 6'x12' trailer would be difficult to over load unless you plan on moving heavy pieces of machinery. The common every day person will move household items and not much in the way of equipment.
    Over engineering the trailer will only help you do more work than is necessary, cost more money than you need to spend and will decrease the payload capacity using the heavier materials. I can't see an advantage to the overbuild theory. If you are worried about friends overloading it, don't lend it out unless they are willing to pay for any damages.

My suggestion would be to figure out what will most commonly be placed on the trailer and build accordingly from there.

www.championtrailers.com has a basic layout for a single and tandem trailer in their catalog that is a decent starting point to work from. One more thing to note, I see you are located over in Tampa, don't buy your trailer supplies from Redneck trailer supply as they are way over priced on their items. Dave

P.S. I have added a few pictures of a 6'4"x12' that I delivered just yesterday, this is the second set I have built for this customer and still have 2 more sets to build him, Thought it may give you some ideas for yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dabar39; 07-18-2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added pics.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Dave, thanks for the info. I was going to use 3" channel x 3/16" for the tounge, since my last trailer recived a bent tounge from my brother in law, due to placeing to much weight forward. This is what I ment by over build, and I agree with your policy -"You break it, You pay to fix it". I was just trying to avoid the aggravation. I like the pictures of your trailers, this gives me some ideas to add to mine if I can find a better price on steel. I did by my axle from RedNeck, $92.00 for a #3500 with leaf springs and hardware; a friend has an account with them. Also, I priced the steel locally, about $600.00 . By the time I purchase all the parts, I will be over what I could buy an already made trailer - $850.00, but not built to what I want. I have to call around and check other suppliers. Thanks for the help, keep it coming. I will check with the web sit you mentioned about those plans.
    MM 175
    Oxy/Act Set
    220 Arc Welder

ev372,
    don't worry about Dave, he's just showing off As long as you guys build trailers, don't e-mail each other!!! We want to learn EVERYTHING
    Dave, If you build a trailer for someone, tell them it's rated for 2000lbs,
    and there the smart people that they are, overload it and it breaks, then they try to sue you, wouldn't it be better to overbuild it?
    thanks guys,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default how tall would a cargo box be on a 6'x12' trailer

What I am doing is buying 6x12 foot trailer the first 4 foot will be used for storage
    after that i want to build a cargo box on the trailer

I want to be able to stand up in the box. I was told that 6' 6" would work if the box was on this size of trailer without the need to worry about it blowing over as it is pulled down the road

Do you have any ideas on this?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CAGO View Post

I was told that 6' 6" would work if the box was on this size of trailer without the need to worry about it blowing over as it is pulled down the road
    It would work unless you were 6'8" tall. 6 foot would work for me...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default trailer kits

here is a place withhttp://www.championtrailers.com/UTILITY_TRAILER_KITS.HTM all the parts and plans for you hope it helps i dont know if i did this right