Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

yeh good point
    welding...its awsome

Bert James,
    Are you telling Weld13 he should start drinking??
    DON'T DO IT MAN!!! WHATEVER JAMES SAYS...DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
    DON'T THROW YOUR LIFE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    anyway....

defenetly not. sorry if it came out that way. it was the military that taught me to get myself under controle so i coould take my time to take the shot needed at the time insted of always rushing. drinking rarely lead to anything i would call forward progress. its realy all about self disiplin realy.
    as for grinding your welds being just to hide bad welds. i supose that is an option i am happy to see you are not taking. BUT there are times where its not about hiding, its about getting the proper hold and apearence.
    i'm not talking about taking out the hole bead just the front 1/2 of the very end to alow you to restart and backtrak a bit to get a good even restart. of you were still rinning on the first stick the front 1/2 of the bead would be multen, but as its a restart its all solid so taking out the leading edje just alows you to tie in cleaner.
    if you take a look at the pic i made it might make more scence, i hope. but its not about hiding a boo boo or bird poo its about making a clean join of old and new bead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

James is right, I've seen the pipefitters do that. Makes the whole weld seamless!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

O. I thought you ment like cleaning a whole bunch of it up. Now I get it
    welding...its awsome

yep, just the last 1/2 of the final drop of steel in the bead.
    no, cleaning up the hole weld would weaken it considerable. a good part of its strangth is in the bead. thats why it should not be too small or large for that matter.
    i'm going out this morning to the shop and will try to get in a few stick welds so i can try AC. i have a lot of cleaning up befor i can do anything and i also have a slide that needs repaired and re-atached to the swingset. haveing a weld bead contest or show off secion is fun but i have to take care of the lil ones first.
    i'll post up some pic's if i get a chance to do any welding.

and no i wont cheat and TIG weld it, i would hope you all could tell the diference.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES